Need Advice

Old 12-20-05, 04:55 PM
guyfromtexas
Visiting Guest
Question Need Advice

I have a 1999 GMC 2500 series pickup. I was pullling a horse trailer the other day when all of a sudden the water pump broke and soon after that it overheated. I got it home and replaced the waterpump and refilled the radiator. Come to find out the the water was going into the oil pan. Now I assume the overheating caused it to crack the block or could it just be a blown head gasget? The truck is still in real good shape cosmeticly, interior is good and starts right up. Its paid off and I need some advice on what I should do with it. Should I try to repair it and pay around 2000+ or sell it for junk and call it a loss.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-05, 07:06 PM
more troubleshooting

I think you just blew a head gasket and at worst cracked a head.I would remove the heads(you will have to do that anyway) and check it out from there.

Old 12-21-05, 08:34 AM
I agree with Michael. It is most likely the head gasket. It probably went on the drive home after overheating it.

My waterpump let go on my Chevy K2500 too. I didn't overheat though so it was an easy fix.

How many miles are on it. Crate motors are another option. If the truck is in nice shape and is what you need then I would fix it. Have you looked at truck prices lately? I looked at replacing my 1995 K2500 4x4, extended cab, long bed with the same options I currently have and it was going to list out at about $31,500. That's a lot of repairs!