Oil Pan

Old 12-20-05, 07:48 PM
Oil Pan

Yes I Took My 95 Dodge Van In For A Oil Change And The Person Changing The Oil Said He Couldnt Do It Because He Couldnt Get The Plg Out He Said It Just Keep Turning I Would Like To No If I Could Get A Self Tapping Plug To Replace The Plug When I Get It Out Or Any Suggesting
Thanks Whiteey23

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-05, 07:57 PM
yes, they make self tapping drain plugs for precisely that reason. I would check the threads in the oil pan first though once you get it out. If they are not damaged and it was only the PLUG that stripped threads then you would be better off in the long run to just get a replacement plug and not make the hole in the oil pan bigger.

Old 12-21-05, 08:40 AM
Diddo on the replacement plug. If it spins without coming out as the inept mechanic says, then you might want to try using a left handed drill bit. They come with some of the extractor sets or you can buy them seperately. You put your drill in reverse and simply start drilling into the bolt. If the bolt isn't really tight then it will back out when the bit grabs the metal. That is, if a simple pair of vice grips won't work.

Old 12-21-05, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by WHITEEY23
Yes I Took My 95 Dodge Van In For A Oil Change And The Person Changing The Oil Said He Couldnt Do It Because He Couldnt Get The Plg Out He Said It Just Keep Turning I Would Like To No If I Could Get A Self Tapping Plug To Replace The Plug When I Get It Out Or Any Suggesting
Thanks Whiteey23
To get the plug out you need to wedge something thin under the plug while turning it out. A thin chisel, heavy duty puddy knife. Then install the self tapping
plug.

Old 12-22-05, 10:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Before going the chisel or extractor route, try what mazpower_hd sugessted. Get a good tight bite with vice grip type pliers, and pull on plug as you turn it in the loosening direction. It should catch a thread and then unscew.

Old 12-23-05, 09:48 AM
Oil Pan

Thanks For All The Info Work Out Great Got The Job
Thanks
Whiteey23

Search this Thread