Possible recall or service bulletin?

Old 12-21-05, 10:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possible recall or service bulletin?

I drive an 89 Jeep Cherokee. For some reason, the left brake light doesn't work even with a brand new bulb. I have seen quite a few Cherokees over the past few weeks with no left brake light. Is this just a strange coincidence or is there a service bulletin or recall adressing this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-05, 02:07 PM
I just checked the TSB's (technical service bulletins) and found nothing relating to this problem other than a bulletin that tells you the proper wire splicing technique if you should need to splice any of the vehicles wires. It is not specifically refering to the brakes it is only a general statement. I would check to make sure the ground wire is ok. I have noticed alot of late model Chevy pickups trucks with the drivers side running light burnt out also. Just an observation.
Jeff

Old 12-22-05, 06:07 AM
I had to wrestle with wiring issues in an old Toyota project truck. A bad ground is a common occurance, especially here in New England. Mine had numerous bad grounds since the truck has had the bed replaced with a steel flatbed.

I used a test light looking for power. I started at the socket and worked my way back and got nothing through the entire harness. I ended up using the test light as a ground and stabbed it into the ground connection and viola the light worked. It ended up being a corroded ground in a plug just before the socket. I had to eliminate the plug and connect with crimp connectors. I also used shrink tubing to seal it.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-22-05, 06:27 AM
If your Jeep was manufactured by Chrysler,then i would say its a electrical. bad wire connection,connector,or ground. It has been my experience that Mopar products are the worst for electrical problems.

Old 12-22-05, 06:33 AM
I have to agree dasweed. Chrysler has had electrical problems for years now. You would think they would do something about it. I have a problem the left directional in my wife's Chrysler Sebring now. I have chased it down to the harness in the trunk where there is a relay that plugs in, I just haven't had the time yet to fix it. I just keep wriggling it and making it work.

Old 01-17-06, 11:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is combined Chrylser and AMC. The weird thing is that the taillight on the same bulb works fine. Go figure...