hit curb... hard

Old 12-21-05, 11:18 AM
Jelie
Visiting Guest
hit curb... hard

Rain plus road equals evil. I slid into a curb on a turn. Wasnt going very fast but enough to do a bit of damage. I busted my rim, it is scratched up and bent in on part of it, but that doesnt seem to be a problem. The real problem is that it knocked something around. I hit with my right front tire. Now my cars alignment drifts slightly right, the steering wheel is also turned to the right a bit when going strait (well the way the car wants to go, it does drift right a bit now though). Additionaly at speeds of about 40 and above the steering wheel vibrates rapidly.

Firstly, is there something seriously wrong where I need to get it fixed right away and stop driving my car

Secondly, is this something that will be expensive, or can i possibly fix it myself.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-05, 11:29 AM
You will probably have to get that rim replaced. A small dent is ok, a larger one may make it impossible to balance the tire.

Second is that you'll need an alignment done fairly quickly. You need to tell them what happened so they can look for other suspension parts that may have been bent or broken.

Third, it's possible you broke a belt in the tire, This may show up in the balancing process, or may not.

Old 12-21-05, 11:40 AM
Jelie
Visiting Guest
so that is a yes i need to go bring my car into the shop. estimate on how much something like this will cost. being christmas time and all that i am pretty limited on cash right now.

Old 12-21-05, 03:43 PM
bad news

The tire is the cheap part you probbably bent something in the front end you need it fixed tell the shop what you did so they can repair it.If you can get back here and let us know what was damaged.This is not a do it yourself item.The fact that your steering wheel is now clocked at a diffrant angle indicates more problems the a bent rim.

Last edited by michael van; 12-21-05 at 03:46 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 12-22-05, 08:35 AM
Jelie
Visiting Guest
Okay called up the dealership to see how much it would be to replace the rim. It turned out to be a several hundred for the single rim, half of what if cost for the set. So, at least for the short time being, until i can get the money to get a replacement, I was wondering if I could somehow salvage this one and still drive on it. I took pictures of the damage on the rim, what is your oppinions on the possibilities. My neighbor is the main repair dude at a major armored car complany, so he has all the tools and knowhow, but i dont wanna bother him if i dont need to.

[Pic1] [Pic2] [Pic3]
[Pic4] [Pic5] [Pic6]
[Pic7] [Pic8]

Old 12-22-05, 10:14 AM
yikes

Looks like picture six shows a crack if so I would not mess with that also you have alloy wheels not steel wheels they dont bend back very well.
You could get a steel wheel cheap and use it temp.Make sure it is same lug pattern and size.That white line on the top is a crack I looked at pics again that rim is toast.What size tires do you have?Also dont trust that tire it might have ply seperation

Last edited by michael van; 12-22-05 at 10:18 AM. Reason: add
Old 12-22-05, 11:19 AM
Jelie
Visiting Guest
okay went to the local autoshop place that specializes in wheels.

the rims are BBS 140RX 16" alloy - $229

Total with labor and all the other small nesesities, you got $266.30. They say the tire should be fine but they wont know until they take it off. If anybody knows somwhere where I can get the rim cheaper, please tell me. I would appreciate that very much. So far I can only find slightly cheaper and the hastle of shipping is not worth it.

Of course this is without a proper inspection of anything else gone wrong. Lets hope if comes out clean. Cuz I am broke!

Old 12-22-05, 01:38 PM
looks important?

Are looks important?If not get a steel wheel in that size till you have the money for a alloy one.Then all you need to do is swap the tire to it.I know what you mean by being broke and I feel your pain trust me.What kind of car are we talking abot here?Also a word of advice put the tire that hit the curb on back of car so just in case you get a blowout it wont be on the front and that makes a lot of diffrence on saftey.You do not want a front blowout it can ruin your day.

Old 12-22-05, 07:38 PM
Jelie
Visiting Guest
I get what you mean by the cheaper rim. Ill look into it.

It is a Toyota Camry SE '05

Ill also take into consideration your suggestion on tire placement. Makes sense.

And thanks for all the help. Its appreciated.

ill post more updates for ya when I get them

Old 12-23-05, 06:16 AM
Ok

OK keep us up to date.Camry nice dependable car you should get a lot of miles out of it.

Old 12-27-05, 06:45 AM
If the total repair cost ends up being significant it may be worth it to put a claim through the insurance company.

Old 01-03-06, 02:46 PM
Jelie
Visiting Guest
okay got the rim replaced... about $250... (mostly price of rim)

the alignment is still off a bit, wondering if something was done to the axle or something else down there.. gonna have it checked out soon.

Just wanted to update yall.

Old 01-03-06, 02:54 PM
Off?

Great you got back glad you got your rim.What do you mean alignment is off a little?You need it dead on or you will eat tires.Does it pull?also is the stearing wheel straight?Who did alignment?

Old 01-03-06, 06:27 PM
Jelie
Visiting Guest
well my dad brought the car in to get it fixed.. i was on vacation.

all i know is that it was put back on and all balenced.. the steering wheel doesnt shake anymore, but the wheel is still clocked slightly to the right, yet... if i remember correctly (driven once since new rim) pulls a bit left. it is wierd. it drives fine besides that... no rattling. no signs of like loose parts or damages parts besides the clocked steering wheel and the small drift left. But the pull is so slight that i dont notice... or it may be that cuz of the wierd angle of the steering wheel that i dont notice. not sure... ill drive it a bit later. i got school. and ill get back with more details... anything else u could use?

Old 01-03-06, 06:37 PM
Smile Better safe than sorry!

Couldnt you have found a rim at the auto wreckers / recyclers? probably could have saved you a few $......
My husband read your post, he is a mechanic and he suggests like most of the other postings for you to get a front end alignment asap to avoid more costs at a later date, uneven tire wearing or replacement etc...if the steering wheel is not centered then your tow on the front is out, an alignment would correct this. Go to a reputable garage they have the computerized equipment to do it, I know Midas does it.... Its not that expensive... we are in Canada I know here it is about $70 so probably cheaper in US
Good Luck......

Old 01-03-06, 08:45 PM
Jelie
Visiting Guest
thx for the advice gmcladee. i will do that.

my dad is the one spending the money, i just gotta pay him back. he is the one who cant go without a matching rim for a while... and it isnt even his car... well officially, it is his, but he doesnt drive it. and he is the one who just HAD to get the upgraded rims when we bought it... so ya.

and i will go get that alignment thing done asap.. for now. to and from school and girlfriends house... the 2 neccesities... and that is it. MAX 10 miles a day. keep the damage to a minimum.

Old 01-04-06, 05:39 AM
good luck

I think the important part of this whole unfotunate accident is that you get your new car back to the way it was.However this is not limited to just parts that visually damaged like rim.
You must also take into account of hidden secondary damage caused by the primary damage.

Old 01-05-06, 03:30 PM
Jelie
Visiting Guest
okay driving my car i know more....

it pulls VERY VERY minimally... but the wheel is still cocked a bit to the right.

better or worse for me?

Old 01-05-06, 05:19 PM
Thats up to you

If you can live with that thats your call.( I myself would not like it) If you decide to go with it keep an eye on your tires for adnormal wear.Sometimes it pulls a bit because of the road it is higher in the center so rain can run off.

Old 01-05-06, 06:01 PM
Jelie
Visiting Guest
how dangerous it is to my tires if i dont get it done.. or is it one of those things that it may hurt it... may not.

Old 01-05-06, 06:11 PM
tires

Your tires will wear faster then normal and they will wear on one side.It will not happen overnight and might not show for 5-10 thousand miles.It is not something that will wear overnight ,because if it was you would really notice it and see it with the naked eye.A little bit off on the camber or caster will show up in time.They must be within factory specs anything out of that is unacceptable.