86 Buick No-start

Old 12-26-05, 12:15 PM
CRBENDER
Visiting Guest
86 Buick No-start

86 Buick Le Sabre with 3.8L, moved from front garage to back and when I tried to start the next day, no go. Fuel pressure about 35 lbs., spark, no codes. Checked plugs today and were wet, cleaned and installed and took off, purred like a kitten, was going to back out of garage after about 3 minutes, coughed a couple times and died, no start, no codes, good spark and 35 psi fuel pressure on rail, plugs are dry. Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by CRBENDER; 12-29-05 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-27-05, 03:13 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
See if you have injector pulse with a noid light.Also check and see if the check engine light is coming on during the failure with the key in the on position.It sounds like you may have a bad ecm or wiring but it could be the ecm power feed if the check engine light doesn't work you need to check for power at the ecm.

Old 12-28-05, 12:54 PM
CRBENDER
Visiting Guest
Still no go

Have injector pulse, check engine light stays on except for a blink after the key is 1st turned to Ign. After cranking, a faint smell of gas is present. I pulled the plugs again and they were damp. I checked timing on # 1 wire while cranking and it was about 25 deg BTDC if that means anything.

Thanks,
CB

Last edited by CRBENDER; 12-29-05 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-29-05, 06:26 PM
CRBENDER
Visiting Guest
Help

When there is spark, fuel and air, can't figure out why I can run for a little bit and die and not be able to restart. This is the older of the line ( as far as age ) Buick I have and other than fuel pump problems on an 89, the old V-6 Buick is one of the most dependable and economical (exlude Japanese) engines I have driven. All others have set a code when there has been a problem. I am leaning towards replacing the crank sensor as I feel the crank timing should be closer to TDC than 25Deg BTDC during start. . Is there a possibility that it could be a MAF sensor even though that seems to check OK?
Frustrated,
CB

Old 12-30-05, 09:01 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the engine light stays on, check the codes. How long does it stay running when it does run? Most of the chain auto parts stores can check the codes for you if you can get it to them. Otherwise you'll have to by a scanner. Your parts store may have loaners or rentals.

Old 12-31-05, 08:18 AM
CRBENDER
Visiting Guest
No Codes

I have a scanner and there are no codes, the car has only started once in the last 2 weeks of trying occasionally and ran for about 3 minutes and coughed a couple times and died, tried to restart and no go. Checked for codes again, none, had 38 lbs fuel pressure on rail, good spark, plugs were dry but after cranking numerous different times were damp. Still no start.
Could it possibly be crank sensor as when I checked timing during crank, it was about 25 deg off TDC. Any ideas?
Thanks,
CB

Last edited by CRBENDER; 01-02-06 at 06:06 AM. Reason: HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: