oxygen sensors

Old 12-21-05, 12:53 PM
pappaone
Visiting Guest
Question oxygen sensors

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer and have been told that I need to replace all 4 Oxygen Sensors. I didn't realize there were 4 of them and I'm not sure where to look for them besides some where on the the exhaust manifold. I would appreciate it if someone could give me a clearer idea just where to locate all of them. Do I need to have the Explorer up on ramps to locate them? Also is there really 4 of them?????
Thank you and Happy Holidays to all

Last edited by pappaone; 12-21-05 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-05, 05:58 AM
This is for the V-8. I thnk the other engine options only have three. Not positive though.

1) UNDER HOOD, DRIVER SIDE, LOWER ENGINE AREA BELOW EXHAUST MANIFOLD FLANGE, MOUNTED IN EXHAUST PIPE

2) UNDER HOOD, PASSENGER SIDE, LOWER ENGINE AREA, BELOW EXHAUST PIPE FLANGE, MOUNTED IN EXHAUST PIPE

3) UNDER VEHICLE, DRIVER SIDE, BELOW SEATING AREA,
MOUNTED IN EXHAUST PIPE IN REAR OF CATALYTIC CONVERTER

4) UNDER VEHICLE, PASSENGER SIDE, BELOW SEATING AREA, REAR OF CATALYTIC CONVERTER, MOUNTED IN EXHAUST PIPE

Old 12-22-05, 07:53 AM
pappaone
Visiting Guest
oxygen sensors

Thank you, it is a V6 and I was able to find the 3 of them, however the Ford dealer dealer tells me there are really 4. But that they also tell me my problem is not the sensors, but that I need to replace intake gaskets. Has anyone else had this problem and what did it turn out to be????

Old 12-22-05, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Let's start from the beginning. What problems/symptoms does it have?

Old 12-29-05, 06:15 PM
pappaone
Visiting Guest
it doesn't want to idle when cold and then seems to be okay once it warms up. Autozone told me it was the oxygen sensors and I've had others say it's the intake O rings

Old 12-29-05, 06:32 PM
CRBENDER
Visiting Guest
O-'rings

I doubt on a 2000 that it would be the intake O-rings unless you live by a chemical plant. does the temp gauge come up to normal like it previously did, or is it faster or slower to get to op temp? L.O L.

Old 12-30-05, 07:55 AM
Something doesn't make sense. The O2 sensors are out of the loop until it warms up. I don't think bad O2 sensors can cause poor cold idle.

Old 12-31-05, 08:51 AM
pappaone
Visiting Guest
suppossedly Ford had a problem with the o rings shriking in cold weather and the after engine warmed up the o rings would expand and engine would run normal. There wasn't a recall, but a technical letter sent to the dealers. Ford would fix the problem at their expense if the explorer had less than 72k on it. I have 92k on mine, I would think it shouldn't matter the mileage since it was Fords goof that is causing the problem. Guess I'll spend the couple of hundred to get it fixed.

Old 12-31-05, 09:32 AM
OCSpongR
Visiting Guest
Talking

...new guy to the site here , but , emphatically yes it's the intake gaskets! 4.0 ford?plastic intake???? GASKETS!
The reason these guys are so fast to say its O2's is b/c thats what the little scanner says, and NOTHING ELSE...4 codes for bank 1~4 O2's ,lean....blablabla.BS!!!

I've done no less that 20 of these , I've worked in a "franchised" shop for the last 12 years and get to see all makes and models ,and that code set on a 4.0 should set off a light bulb in ones head....4 O2's DO NOT go all at once.

Side note...not that big a job to r&r gaskets ,basic tools and gasket sets from Napa , 2 hours ...done deal.

Hope you get her st8t.

Peace,
Jason S.