battery charger question

Old 12-21-05, 02:50 PM
dockman
Visiting Guest
battery charger question

I am trying to find out if a portable 12 volt winch can be operated from a 120 volt battery charger. I have asked a couple of auto repair people and have gotten conflicting answers. I have a specific need for this application and if it is possible to do this it would save me a lot of time and money.

Thank You for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-05, 03:31 PM
no

No way too many amps would be drawn from the winch you would fry the charger in a pull.It might work for a little while with no load but once you start the pull it would fry the charger.

Old 12-22-05, 06:22 AM
Why not just run it off of a battery? Then you could simply keep charging the battery as it dies. What is the application? Will it be used continuously? Will you be near a power source? You could also get a 12V power supply from Radio Shack.

Just some toughts. A little more info might be helpful. I work with some electronic repair technicians. I can ask them for some better advice if you give me more detailed information.

Old 12-22-05, 09:32 AM
dockman
Visiting Guest
Thank You Micheal Van and Mazpower
The reason I want to use the charger is I own a Marina and I have one dock that is in a remote location but does have ac power. I was hoping for a quick way to run the winch without lugging a battery all the way out there. I know that I could just buy another ac powered winch, but I only have a use for this application a couple of times a year. I will look into the Radio Shack suggestion though.
Thanks again for your help Don IN NJ

Old 12-22-05, 10:24 AM
key factor

The key factor is amps the winch will draw a lot so make sure what ever you are powering it with can do the job.I do not think the radio shack invertor has enough amps I have one and it is rated at 3 amps.
I am missing something if you want to run it off a battery charger or invertor that need plugged in why not just get a winch that you can plug in?

Old 12-22-05, 10:49 AM
dockman
Visiting Guest
battery charger

I could just use a plug in ac winch, but I already have two that are mounted to other docks and are not easy to disconnect. I have the portable winch that is very easy to move around and the battery chargers are mounted on the docks already so it would be a very easy solution , but I guess I'm not going to get away with a cheap solution. I was thinking I could use equipment that I already have on hand.
Thanks again Don in NJ

Old 12-22-05, 10:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think that you will find anything at the shack that will meet your needs.
If it were me, I would relace the most used winch with a new one, and then mount the old winch on the least used dock.

Old 12-22-05, 01:30 PM
idea

You could get the winch a battery and mount it on something with wheels and when done take the whole mess back and charge the battery.You will need a battery thats for sure ,just make sure you can move it around easy to dock and back to charging station.

Old 12-23-05, 07:47 AM
I didn't realize that this is a heavy duty winch where it is only 12V. Another thought is to look on the Northern Tool website and see if they have anything that would suit your needs.

I'm not an electrician but wouldn't the winch only draw the amperage it needs from the charger? My charger is one that can slow charge on low and then you can start a car on boost which, if memory serves, is 200 amps. Look at the tag on the winch and see how many amps it draws. If it is less than the charger puts out I would think you would be OK. I'm not positive but I think the winch will only draw what it needs. As long as it isn't trying to draw more than the charger is capable of putting out I don't think there would be a problem.

I'll check with a couple of people here at work and see what they say. We have many resources to draw on here. I work for a large government research facility that has people from pretty much every trade you can think of.

Old 12-23-05, 08:05 AM
amps

From what I have just looked up a warn winch the smallest one draws 24 amps with no load. and the battery charger that can start a car has 100 amps.,now if you go up in the pull the amps go up fast real fast they will exceed the 100 amp rating in no time.

Old 12-23-05, 08:10 AM
winches come in quite a variety of style, capacity, and function. maybe if we knew what your application is and the site requirements someone could pin it down a bit. how long the cable will be, pulling power required, speed of operation, etc.