Brake light on,transmission won't shift, bad ground strapping?

Old 12-23-05, 01:35 PM
Brake light on,transmission won't shift, bad ground strapping?

I posted last week about my brake light that comes on every once in a while and won't go off. When this happens, I have no heater fan, no speedometer, and my transmission won't shift out of 1st gear. I thought I had the problem fixed, but about three day's later, it happened again. I checked all the wiring and found a peice of copper braided ground strapping that was almost broke in half. There are two ground wire straps on the firewall. One goes to the chassis, and one to the back of the block. One is almost broke in half, and the other was so brittle it broke when I touched it. Would this cause my truck to have all these problems? No one had them in my area, so I ordered two and they will be in Monday morning. Could this be the problem, or should I keep on looking for something else? Thanks.............

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-05, 07:23 AM
ok, changed the ground strapping and cleaned the ground wires coming off the battery going to the truck body, still nothing, brake light still on, nothing works. Checked the fuses again and this time found a blown fuse, the AC/Htr. Put in a new fuse, it hasn't blown yet, but still have light on. Could a bad ignition switch cause this?

Last edited by grantiman; 12-24-05 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-26-05, 11:31 AM
I jumped the ALDL A to B and all I got was the #12 code, nothing else. I also jumped the A to H and the dash brake light never flashed or anything. Is there an easy way to see if I have power at my Htr fuse? Don't have alot of tech tools.
Looked at ignition switches on line for the cost, they showed some ignition switch under the dash. Is this the switch I may have to change, or is it the one on the cloumn which the key goes in?

Last edited by grantiman; 12-26-05 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-26-05, 12:48 PM
what kind of car?

Is it a GM if so the real switch is on the coloum and the thing you turn with the key just moves a rod to the switch.
You need to get a basic tool called a multimeter digital is best Radio shack as some for not to much money.You will need this for trouble shooting and it works well around the house as well.I have about 4.

Old 12-26-05, 02:17 PM
Yes, it is a Chevy pickup, now all i have to do is find the ignition switch. I do have a Analog Multitester (ohm meter I guess). You can test continuity, ac/dc voltage, if that helps.

Old 12-26-05, 02:23 PM
thats it

Yes that is what you need that is a basic tool for electical troubleshooting the switch is on the steering coloum on the lower part.That is why GM cars are easy to rip off thieves bust out the part were the key goes and push down the rod with a screwdriver and it starts.

Old 12-30-05, 03:46 PM
Well, put in a new ignition switch, problem solved. Thanks for all the help..........

Old 12-30-05, 04:06 PM
outstanding

Outstanding good job thaks for the update