Power steering noise after flushing/changing the steering fluid-Camry 2001

Old 12-26-05, 08:56 AM
mark22
Visiting Guest
Power steering noise after flushing/changing the steering fluid-Camry 2001

I have a Toyota Camry 2001 4 cyl 64000 miles. Does this car behaves only if I service it at the dealer? I flushed and replaced the steering fluid at a station specialized on oil service. They show me that the fluid is dirty and needs to be changed after 60000 miles. I asked them if the replacement fluid is the right one for Toyota, they said yes. Two days after the change when steering, I hear that high pitch noise (it seems that noise comes from under the hood not from the steering column) and the steering wheel moves very hard. This happens when steering on both right or left side, not every time (4-6 times in 10 days) and I think when it is cold outside. The fluid it is a the right level. What might be wrong? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-05, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They may not have gotten the air out of the system. Try this - start the engine and with the car in neutral or park, turn the steering wheel as far to the right as possible and hold it there for a couple of seconds.Then turn the wheels to the left in the same manner. Repeat several times. Then take a drive and see if this cured your problem.

Old 12-26-05, 09:53 AM
thats right

You beat me to it but that is what I would do also.I hope that is all it is is air.next check belt and see if it is tight.

Old 12-26-05, 05:04 PM
There is a screen in the reservior and some how they have it clogged up....maybe they added an additive?