to use or not use synthetic oil

Old 12-28-05, 05:05 AM

I have an '04 Malibu, low mileage, an am using synthetic oil. I would appreciate any comments as to the pros and cons of using synthetic. Do I have to have oil changes as often? Is it really benificial? The service tech is very non-commital, and yes, I realize the high cost.

Thank you, FLA. Printer

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-05, 01:36 PM
they don't cause leaks unless it already has them, then it can remove false sludge seals, but its a 04, so wouldn't worry, what synthetic are you using? anyway, they keep the engine clean from sludge, due to the higher heat capabilities and they don't oxidize as quickly especially because they contain little to no wax or impurities, its beneificial because they flow better, especially in the cold, and they do tend to be a little slicker on the surfaces. what oil change interval are you using? oil filter? 3,000 miles is a waste, would extend the oci. cheapest place i've seen (big 5 quart jugs) of mobil one, around 20 bucks. about the only con is the price

Old 12-28-05, 01:48 PM
If you would like my 2 cents worth after 25 years repairing vehicles I see no real benefit to synthetic oil in passenger vehicles. Your best bet is to use a good quality filter and good motor oil and change it every 3,000 miles. The problem I have seen with synthetics is if you leave them in too long all you are doing is moving dirt through the engine.

Old 12-28-05, 05:29 PM
I agree with proworker. I too am not a big fan of synthetics. Use regular oil with 3K oil changes.

If you decide to go synthetic, extend your drain intervals to 10K (no less than 6K). Another thing to consider is that the oil filter will need to be changed every 5K (roughly half way through the synthetic interval) with an oil top-off.

Old 12-28-05, 05:53 PM
dabirdzR?T
Visiting Guest
i use valvoline full-synth, change the oil every 6K miles, drive on the highway for 90%. car has 62K, and the oil is very clean at change time. I love synthetic, and wouldnt run anything else.

Old 12-28-05, 08:46 PM
synthetic vs mineral

hands down synthetic oil beats mineral except in cost, syn oil is made in a lab so every molecule is identic to the other, the break down point is much higher and it gains less viscosity in long 2-3 hour freeway drives.
Don't look at it as how many miles between changes ( 5000 in my case ) but instead at how protected your engine will be at all times and the kind of performance you will get from it, and dont forget to use a high quality oil filter too like mobil 1 or k&n.

Old 12-28-05, 11:01 PM
well, for the 3,000 mile myth, thats pretty much like saying pennzoil is bad oil, yes back in the old days, but today, its one of the best, conventionals can go 4, 5 thousand, even more, syns are even recommended due to the fact in sludger engines from vw, toyota, etc. because they don't sludge em up. and yes, sticking to a good oil filter, say mobil one, wix(napa gold) etc. will keep the dirt filtered out..... though be weary of false syns (group 3's) like castrols syntec (beleive valvoline has changed to using pao) its a highly refined conventional oil, mobil one is a group 4 and 5, pao and ester syn. redline is ester, and amsoil pao.
( Polyalphaolefins ) syns are also a great choice in air cooled engines, just because they can stand up to the higher heat

Old 12-29-05, 02:20 PM
Just curious. What does your owners manual recommend?

Old 12-29-05, 04:13 PM

To all who replied, thank you. The results seem to be evenly split; for and against. I contacted Kendall oil and all they said was that it is being recommended by Mercedes and other top manufacturers and little else. I will contact Chevrolet and see what they say, especially about warrenties.
Seems to me that somewhere there must have been an in-depth study about this; I'll just have to find it.

Thanks again, FLA. Printer

Old 12-29-05, 05:47 PM
If you want more reading on this topic, this site will keep you occupied for hours: bob is the oil guy . There's a lot of knowledgeable people participating in discussion and they cut through all the marketing hype.

Old 12-29-05, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by FLA. Printer
To all who replied, thank you. The results seem to be evenly split; for and against. I contacted Kendall oil and all they said was that it is being recommended by Mercedes and other top manufacturers and little else. I will contact Chevrolet and see what they say, especially about warrenties.
Seems to me that somewhere there must have been an in-depth study about this; I'll just have to find it.

Thanks again, FLA. Printer
mobil one is their factory fill oil in some of their newer vehicles, just as long as the oil is the oil they spec to use. bob is the oil guy is a great site as well to check out for further info

Search this Thread