Antifreeze Coolant Question

Old 12-28-05, 01:21 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Antifreeze Coolant Question

1995 Toyota Camry V6 3.0L Wagon AT 66K miles. I accidently left radiator cap open and drove for a while the other day. When I noticed there are steam coming out from hood, it was low (probably half of coolant was gone) on coolant. I checked Haynes repair manual. It says add 50/50 antifreeze coolant. I called Toyota dealer and they said the same thing, but has to use Toyota's own antifreeze coolant (red/brown color) even if I drain all coolant from engine and add new antifreeze coolant. My question is do I have to use Toyota's antifreeze coolant? Can I use Peak antifreeze coolant or other kind which is much cheaper than Toyota's brand? Can I just add Peak antifreeze coolant (mix with Toyota's antifreeze coolant already in the car) to bring up the coolant level? If I did mix them, what will happen? Thanks in advance!

Old 12-28-05, 01:31 PM
you can drain and use 50/50 regular green low silicate of any brand, but i would stick with the oem recommended, or atleast find a coolant that meets their specs (their coolants not made by them) as for peak, the long life or regular? the long life is most likely a dexcool clone, doesn't tolerate air so it has to have a pressurized overflow.

Old 12-29-05, 12:59 PM
D
Thanks for the replied!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: