92 dodge ram..need help

Old 12-29-05, 10:33 AM
92 dodge ram..need help

OK..guys. need help on this one. Last year, when it was cold, I would fire the 1992 dodge ram 318 up and take off to work. I would get about 3/4 away from the house and slow to a stop in the turn lane to go to the highway. When stopped the truck would die. It did this three timess in a row. I had it towed home the first day, towed to the dealer the 2nd time (they didn't find it) and on the 3rd time it happened again. After about $1000 bucks they said they fixed it. I had it tuned up with them, then they replaced the map sensor, then one of four temp sensors on the intake(which sounds weird). After that the truck did not do it again. But honestly, it has probably warmed up since then. So last week. I fired the truck up and it does the same exact thing in the same spots as the other 3 times. It dies, it acts as though it is flooded. Since last year,I learned to clear the flood by pressing the accelerator down all the way. This worked. It would restart, but then die again, unless I gased it to keep it going. But it would die as soon as I shifted to drive. So to get it home I revved it up and dumped it in Drive. Did a burn out to get home. I was very upset and know that was not good for the truck. But I did avoid the tow guy at least...Any ideas...Beer for the right answer. ...or soda..whatever you prefer. Maybe it is the crank sensor????

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-06, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by bop_pa
OK..guys. need help on this one. Last year, when it was cold, I would fire the 1992 dodge ram 318 up and take off to work. I would get about 3/4 away from the house and slow to a stop in the turn lane to go to the highway. When stopped the truck would die. It did this three timess in a row. I had it towed home the first day, towed to the dealer the 2nd time (they didn't find it) and on the 3rd time it happened again. After about $1000 bucks they said they fixed it. I had it tuned up with them, then they replaced the map sensor, then one of four temp sensors on the intake(which sounds weird). After that the truck did not do it again. But honestly, it has probably warmed up since then. So last week. I fired the truck up and it does the same exact thing in the same spots as the other 3 times. It dies, it acts as though it is flooded. Since last year,I learned to clear the flood by pressing the accelerator down all the way. This worked. It would restart, but then die again, unless I gased it to keep it going. But it would die as soon as I shifted to drive. So to get it home I revved it up and dumped it in Drive. Did a burn out to get home. I was very upset and know that was not good for the truck. But I did avoid the tow guy at least...Any ideas...Beer for the right answer. ...or soda..whatever you prefer. Maybe it is the crank sensor????
Could be alot of things, your IAC valve is what gives the engine more air during deceleration and idle. Have you checked for error codes on the computer? Also read this Service Bulletin...
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1992/18-04-92.htm

Old 01-02-06, 02:41 PM
Yes, actually I have read that TSB. But since I am not a mechanic I guess I just didn't put them together. The dealer told me the truck was difficult to diagnose because no codes were coming up. Whatever the problem is(or what they thought is was) was off just enough to cause another sensor to be off and so on and so on. So no codes. Last time they thought it was the temp sensor on the intake. When they changed it, it was fine after that. That was last Feb. So I will look into the wiring and see if any of that helps. But right now I am driving one of my other vehicles. I have been afraid to drive it and didn't want to fork out another grand for the dealer to try to find it.