The mysterious windshield wipers

Old 12-31-05, 12:46 PM
The mysterious windshield wipers

Not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but ever since our 92 Astrovan was recovered from being stolen and the column was put back together, the windshield wipers will regularly take a single swipe across the glass when the van hits a bump. It is very aggravating to have to remove the fuse when it's not raining to avoid the wipers scraping dry glass. Please write if you have any advice. Thanks, Don

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-05, 01:53 PM
ksion15
Visiting Guest
there was a problem with various 93-94 chevy models with this problem. they called it a phantom swipe. there was a leaking diode in the wiper control circuit board. the fix was to replace the circuit board. this could be your problem, but it might be something else.

Old 01-01-06, 09:13 AM
For similar reasons, I've replaced the wiper motor on my 93 Silverado 3 times. The circuit board was to blame, but I had to buy the whole motor (Auto Zone) to fix it. I guess that company doesn't sell just the circuit board. Luckily there was a lifetime warranty so I only had to buy it once. I hope I don't have to replace it again because it is a real pain to get the wiper arm linkage right.

Pecos

Old 01-01-06, 11:48 AM
Chevy trucks are notorious for those modules ("circuit boards") going out. I have replaced more of those than I can count. Pecos, you got ripped off...there was no need to replace the motor and the circuitboard IS sold seperately, though perhaps not at autozone I don't know.

Ford uses a completely different system for their wipers. Sounds like a bare wire somewhere to me. When you hit a bump it is probably sending a ground signal to your wiper relay or module or something causing the wipers to move. I would check your wiring real close....could be a faulty relay as well.