Painting a Hood And how to Properly let it sit

Old 01-01-06, 06:35 AM
Painting a Hood And how to Properly let it sit

Hello all,
I have an 86 f150, The truck runs fine. It's Paint is original. I was thinking at trying to simply repaint the hood. I don't currently have an air compressor. So I was thinking of using spray paint from a can, after all the old was removed. Has any body had any success failures using this technique. Also should it be best to remove the hood or could I leave it on.

Second Question,
I just got a new job, In a couple of months I will be given a company truck to drive back and forth to work as wel as go on service calls. This means my truck will be parked at least five days a week. I've noticed in the past when going on vacation and such when I come back the truck complains. Something is broken or in need of repair that showed no signs before I left. The truck runs fine everyday. My concern is once I let it sit it may develop more problems. Anybody Got Any Ideas, thoughts, suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-06, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
I had some paint deteriorated on our previous vehicle ('95 Camry) and I repainted it using cans (high quality stuff from www.paintscratch.com). Came out pretty good, but you are talking about an area probably 2 or 3 times bigger. I think I would opt for getting someone to shoot it for that big a space. If you do decide to dive in, definitely take it off.

Old 01-02-06, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
I would suggest that your hood is one of the most visible parts of your vehicle and would make any flaws in your handy work continuously in sight.
Paints in spray cans can never be as durable as pro mixed ones because they do not contain catylysts or hardeners.
I use a lot of spray cans on small projects but find that the bigger the surface the more difficult it is to get an even finish.
Unless you plan to make a hobby out of spray painting you would do well to do all the sanding and prep work yourself and hire a paint shop to apply the finish.

As far as your vehicle complaining do you mean that the engine sounds a bit rough when started after it's been sitting for a long while?
If so then it could just be the vehicle showing it's age.
If once it warms up the engine sounds normal I wouldn't worry about it.
Change the oil regularly with a good quality oil and I'm sure it will last a long while yet. It won't wear out just sitting for short periods.

Old 01-04-06, 07:24 AM
Do not attempt to use spray cans! The probability of you doing it good is pretty low. I have a compressor and a HVLP detail gun. That's the type of setup I'd recommend. You don't need a big paint gun, get the small one and just refill the paint while painting.

The other problem we need more details. It would be helpful to know about things like if it's fuel injected or carbeurated, and how old the battery is, etc. If it doesn't have fuel injection then get used to it complaining after being left alone for a week.

Old 01-05-06, 05:55 AM
The Truck is Fuel Injected. I believe most of the problems that it has trouble with is moisture build up in the system. In the past I have had to replace the thermostat or the alternator, and cables just after returning from vacation. These are the kind of things I want to avoid. The battery itself is a couple of years old. I am thinking about hooking up a sulfecation type of charger to the battery while it sits.

Does anybody know If i should put in a fuel stablizer?