2006 Toyota Matrix Speedometer Needle color

Old 01-01-06, 07:21 AM
2006 Toyota Matrix Speedometer Needle color

I'm getting a 2006 Toyota Matrix. On my test drive, I noticed the gauge needles (speedometer needle, etc.) are red on a black background and not all that easy to see. My question is this: Can a red gauge needle be replaced with a white one? Gauges are important and not something to be casually messed with, yet this seems like it would be a fairly simple change to make for someone who knows what they're doing. But how to find such a person?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-06, 10:37 AM
Sorry, No

Old 01-01-06, 10:53 AM
Well - then . . . . .

In that case, I've seen where there are complete replacement dials (gauges?) in entirely different colors. What would be the upsides/dowsides with these?

Old 01-01-06, 01:09 PM
check this out

I used to have a Matrix 03 model there is a good fourm for just Matrix owners and it is very active.Matrix owners .com.Just go to google type in Matrix owners and it will promt you to it.
I hated my guages also I dont like red.However I dont think you can replace them Like Larry says because there are LEDs in them not light bulbs.

Old 01-01-06, 03:50 PM
You void your warranty

Old 01-01-06, 05:25 PM
Ok then . . . . .

Originally Posted by toyotaman11769
You void your warranty
That is certainly a valid concern. I'm sort of preparing myself to ask questions about this at the dealership, but want to get better informed, first, and this is precisely the kind of thing I'm looking for - critically important details that I might not think of myself.

Someone in another thread mentioned some sort of glowing needles that can be added - those wouldn't be replacing the entire gauge. Would something like that void the warranty?

Another question I'm considering asking at the dealership is whether THEY would be willing/able to do something to the needle itself - something as simple as painting it white or even just painting a white tip on it.

It just seems like something that could be fixed so *easily* with just a little "thinking outside the box". But - as you pointed out - not if it voids the warranty!

Old 01-01-06, 05:36 PM
Speaking for myself (most likely your dealer also) we would not be willing to modify. Besides I think the color is provided by indirect lighting similar to fiber optic. We only will do things that can be backed up the the manufactures warranty. In your case the dealer would have to eat the costs for anything that goes wrong...just not worth it.

Modifications would void the warranty on the gauges and instrument cluster and any collateral damage.

Old 01-01-06, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try a test drive in the evening. You may like the way they show up at night.

Old 01-01-06, 07:57 PM
Problem is . . . . .

I drive both during the day and during the night. I guess I'd like good visibility under both conditions.

Toyotaman (Larry): Thanks for your answers. It helps to know the "Why not?" as opposed to just "Not!". Your additional time taken in answering my questions is much appreciated.