Interior Front Hood Latch from "Tales of an all thumbs beginner"

Old 01-01-06, 07:48 AM
richardrzhrzh46
Visiting Guest
Interior Front Hood Latch from "Tales of an all thumbs beginner"

I just finished replacing the alternator and serpertine belt on a 1989 Pontiac 6000 Sedan. When I drove it home from the shop I tried to "pop" the front hood to inspect the work and NOTHING HAPPENED. It feels as though the bundled wire pulled loose somewhere. How do I open the hood without using the interior latch? Help....[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Black]

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-06, 09:07 AM
I've got a '93 chevy truck. When I pull the hood release lever nothing happens either. However, if I go up and bump the hood with my palms, the hood pops up, exposing the latch. The lever is actually still working, but the hood latch is somehow in a bind. I bet that's what yours is doing too. I've seen it happen on a number of vehicles. I've never looked into fixing it because to me it is just a minor annoyance. Good luck and Happy New Year.

Pecos

Old 01-01-06, 11:52 AM
the problem that pecos described is, indeed, very common. Usually an easy fix is to spray penetrating oil (or better yet lithium grease) liberally on all the moving parts of that hood latch until it moves freely. Sometimes those cables break too and they are a real pain in the but to replace. If the cable is broken sometimes you can lay underneath the front and reach up to where the hood latch is and feel for the exposed cable and pull it with your fingers to release the latch. You may or may not be able to get your finger in there to pull it though.

Old 01-01-06, 01:01 PM
two people

Try this will take two people.Push down on hood and the other person pulls handle inside.Then you can lube it and adjust as required.

Old 04-25-06, 09:47 AM
richardrzhrzh46
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Originally Posted by fallen4shell
the problem that pecos described is, indeed, very common. Usually an easy fix is to spray penetrating oil (or better yet lithium grease) liberally on all the moving parts of that hood latch until it moves freely. Sometimes those cables break too and they are a real pain in the but to replace. If the cable is broken sometimes you can lay underneath the front and reach up to where the hood latch is and feel for the exposed cable and pull it with your fingers to release the latch. You may or may not be able to get your finger in there to pull it though.

Four months have passed since I identified the problem and I've conveniently ignored it since the car is rarely driven. Its crunch time however and after attempting the suggestions received unsuccessfully, I am now thinking of letting the local mechanic to the work because I can't even have the oil changed since the hood will not open.

I have the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that my wallet is about to be "mauled" for the repair but I really do not know what else to do!

I was thinking perhaps of calling the local Pontiac dealer where the car was purchased to see if someone could give me some tips about getting it open before I give-up and just roll the dice with a local mechanic.....(Someone mentioned that old Pontiac's are notorious for having problems with the hood latch/cable.
I just wish I had some idea of an "honest" estimate of the cost of replacing the cable would be so I can shop around for a "fair price " on the repair....

Old 04-25-06, 10:57 AM
you can do it

I broke the cable on my '84 6000 in about '92 and got the hood open myself and fixed it too. I can't rember exactly how but I think I got a long screwdriver in and operated the latch just like the cable does. I did mar the paint and plastic stuff. I sold the car in '96, so I can't be more specific.

good luck