transmission wont shift out of the blue

Old 01-04-06, 06:41 PM
carriendoug
Visiting Guest
transmission wont shift out of the blue

hi there. we have a 93 cavalier, which recetnly ran into problem 32..lol all the other 31 are fixed, thanx to the people here on this site. today while driving though, we stopped at a stop light and when the light turned green, we hit the gas and the engine just reved up, no gear whatsoever. havent had any tranny probs, and the fluid is full and clean. When the vehicle is in anything other then park, you can push it, in drive 2nd 1st, nuetral, reverse, and that just aint right for an automatic tranny, anyone have any ideas whatsoever, on what i should be looking at or for? i can feel the linkage move when someone shifts gears. thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-06, 09:10 AM
my did the same thing, have a friend pull the car while your driving it and while running and in drive and get about 20mph and see if it will start going when you hit the gas, if it doesnt you might have a bad gear or clutch.

when you shift it into gear does the engine kick down or anything?

now about the pulling it in anything other then park, you can push it, in drive 2nd 1st, nuetral, reverse, you can do that with auto.

Old 01-05-06, 01:02 PM
carriendoug
Visiting Guest
hey chevy

thanks for your reply, and no it didnt do anything at 20 or anything. when we pushed it home i mean..lol, when i shift into gear the rpm dont drop or anything, as if the engine doesnt even know its under load when i put it in gear, and id dint know that you can push an automatic in 2nd and 3rd, well there are a lot of things i dont know, as im finding out fast..lol but we can push it in forward and reverse, if the engine is running. now with the engine off we can only push it forward, but running, we can push any direction to our hearts content..

Old 01-05-06, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by carriendoug
hey chevy

thanks for your reply, and no it didnt do anything at 20 or anything. when we pushed it home i mean..lol, when i shift into gear the rpm dont drop or anything, as if the engine doesnt even know its under load when i put it in gear, and id dint know that you can push an automatic in 2nd and 3rd, well there are a lot of things i dont know, as im finding out fast..lol but we can push it in forward and reverse, if the engine is running. now with the engine off we can only push it forward, but running, we can push any direction to our hearts content..
umm...sounds like the Torque Converter, or flywheel is shot, mine was both.
what size engine is this?

Old 01-05-06, 03:10 PM
carriendoug
Visiting Guest
it a 3.1 6 cyl. , weird thing is there was nothign unusual, no strange sound nothing hit three lights after leaving the house, always picked up fine, sitting at the light with the top down at the third red, and hit the gas, and nothing..lol afraid to find out how much that is going to run me, i only paid a grand for the car to start with..

Old 01-05-06, 05:36 PM
when you were sitting at the light did the car rev up like if you put it in park? one other thing i could think of is to check the shift cable that runs to the back on the engine, if i remember right

to get mine fixed it was about $500

Old 01-05-06, 06:18 PM
carriendoug
Visiting Guest
The shift cable? does the run to the accelerator linkage aka throttle linkage.? and no the car didnt rev up, of course the top was down, convertible, and my normal rpm is 950 and load is like 850 so i wouldnt hear much difference at all. but it jsut seems odd the i drove about 1/2 mile, hit a stop sign no prob, another half mile, hit a stop light, just my luck..lol no prob. turned, acclerated a little fast not bad though 0-40 in like about 5 secs, not racing or anything, and then drove a mile and yep another stop light, then it acted up.

Old 01-06-06, 05:14 AM
these another cable that run from the shifter to the back of the tranny

Old 01-06-06, 11:16 AM
carriendoug
Visiting Guest
i will have to check that, the only cable i saw ran from the shifter, to a connector on the side of the tranny which turns a lever which looks like it goes in the tranny..lol

Old 01-06-06, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by carriendoug
i will have to check that, the only cable i saw ran from the shifter, to a connector on the side of the tranny which turns a lever which looks like it goes in the tranny..lol

Ok i took some pictures of mine to help you.
Heres the First Make Sure This moves when you shift into gear
Heres The Second

Old 01-06-06, 02:55 PM
carriendoug
Visiting Guest
ok thanks for the help, yep all is connected, i guess its probably, the torque converter then huh? you know, you have been more help then you can imagine, thank you soooooo much for all the help guess im taking it in to the shop..lol bummer.

Old 01-06-06, 07:18 PM
No Problem that what im her for, let me know what they say is wrong