stuttering

Old 01-06-06, 07:03 AM
Cathy
Visiting Guest
stuttering

I need help I have a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis GS that stutters once I get to 40 mph. I stops once I hit 70 mph. It never stutters as I accelerate. Only when I am at a steady speed. I've never had any problems with my car. It has 65,000 miles. Before I take it to a mechanic I would like to know what could be wrong. Can you help?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-06, 02:20 PM
Here we go again. Engine studder or chassis studder? If engine studder, pull trouble codes; if chassis, check for worn tires as a starting point.

Old 01-06-06, 07:58 PM
Cathy
Visiting Guest
stuttering

There are no codes on my dashboard. My check engine light is on and sometimes blinks. The tires are still good. They are about one year old. This all started after hurricane Katrina. I filled my tank up and within a day or two it started. I thought I might have dirty gas so I changed my fuel filter and put some gas cleaner stuff in. I also changed the air filter. Nothing had changed. I get great gas mileage. The car runs great before it stutters and after 70. Does this help?

Old 01-07-06, 04:20 AM
Your engine light being on, indicates there are trouble codes present. That is reason to pull codes.

Secondly, when your engine light is blinking, that means a serious problem is present, repair asap. An example of a serious problem is an engine that is flooding the cat with gas, thus creating poor gas mileage, high pollution, and in very short order, will completely ruin a very very expensive catalytic converter. It would not be penny wise to drive a car with the engine light blinking.

In summary, take it to a shop or a friend and have the trouble codes pulled asap. Guessing at the problem before pulling codes, would be meaningless.