fwd Ford taurus rear spark plugs question

Old 12-25-05, 03:46 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
fwd Ford taurus rear spark plugs question

OK my turn for a question ,Car is a 2000 ford taurus 3.0l engine.Car is ok still but I want some advice on changing the 3 rear plugs.Things like tools to make job easy and best place to get access from top or bottom.
I will get tools if I dont have them I just want to be prepared.It looks pretty tight but there must be some tricks the people that replace plugs on these cars know that will help me.

Old 12-25-05, 09:50 PM
J
I read from someone in a taurus forum that they removed the cowl (retained by a few clips) below the windshield to access the sparkplugs so you could consider that option. I've also seen where others removed the intake which is probably what you're trying to avoid.

Once you change them, post how you did it please. I have an 02 taurus and will also need to change the plugs sometime.

Old 12-26-05, 06:32 AM
M
Wow

Thanks Jeff I can deal with the cowl I am not going to remove the intake that is a bit too much.
I was just wondering cause I was out looking at it yesterday getting away from the hussle and bussle of all the bratty kids here in the house.
I love the car got the SES FFV but working on it does not look like fun.
Maybe a Ford guy that works at the dealer and replaces them daily will fill us in on there secret.
I have all kinds if extensions and swivels but if they say that it is easy with a special tool I will get it
The oil filter looks kinda like a pain it is pretty close to the exaust manifold but it is doable.
I just picked up this ride a few weeks ago from my father who had all maintenance done by dealer.Drove her from California to Texas at 80 mph on cruise control I love the way she drives.A solid car.Side winds did not even feel them.I fixed the rear window defoger (the tabs were broken off).and that is all that was wrong.

Old 01-09-06, 05:28 PM
D
Talking Ford Taurus spark plug R&R

Well, I did it. My daughter came home over Christmas to see me. She mentioned that her gas mileage was dropping so we decided to change the spark plugs. Don't let the 'air cleaner assembly' intimidate you. It's not that hard my friend...

Before I get started may I recommend that you purchase a Chilton's or Hayne's manual for your ride? They run about $20 or so. And they contain awesome step by step instructions w/pix so that even idiots like me can do most, if not all, of my own maintenance!

(I didn't have a manual for this because it's not my car)

Okay, the rear spark plugs can removed & replaced exactly like the front one's. You'll need:

1) 8mm socket & ratchet,
2) 10mm socket & ratchet,
3) a spark plug gapper ($1) [gap is .054"],
4) and a spark plug wrench.

(I ended up buying some Autolite platinum spark plugs. They ran about $2.50 each.)

There are 8 bolts holding the air cleaner assembly on. Remove them w/the 8mm socket & ratchet. Look on the passenger side of the air cleaner assembly & you'll see an electrical wiring harness & connector. Snap the detent pin in & pull the wiring harness off. Look immediately below where the wiring harness plug was & you'll notice a plastic connector with 2 small hoses attached to it. Unplug that connector as well. Almost there, almost.

Now pull up on the air cleaner assembly & you'll notice that something is binding. Look to the right of the assembly & you'll see where the bind is. I think it's an EGR valve or something like that. Use the 10mm socket & ratchet to take off the 2 bolts & 2 nuts. Now that this is off [don't lose the gasket(s) on the port] you're almost there, but not quite.

At this point, my daughter held the assembly up in the air & I did the spark plug R&R. Then we reversed the process, cranked her up, & she's purring real good now!

I hope this helps.

the DOG

Last edited by DOGolden; 01-09-06 at 06:05 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 01-09-06, 05:39 PM
M
outstanding

Outstanding Dog just what I was lookin for I went ahead and printed your instructions for future use.Thanks again I will get the book as you say I like pictures .
Thanks again

Old 01-09-06, 06:09 PM
D
Talking

Glad I could help Michael. I think the manuals that I have are Chilton's. They can be purchased just about anywhere (Autozone, Advanced Auto, etc,). In fact, you can order them from Barnes & Noble if you'd like...

My daughter's Taurus is a 2000 SEL w/the Duratech engine. I think the component layout is the same on all Taurus' though.

Best of luck in your endeavors!

the DOG

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: