? about ceramic brakes

Old 01-06-06, 06:09 PM
? about ceramic brakes

I needed to replace the front brake pads on my 2002 Buick LeSabre. I decided on ceramic pads because I was told there would be less brake dust, longer lasting, less likely to squeal, etc.

Anyway, after I replaced the pads, the brakes sounded horrible.....just like metal on metal grinding. The rotors looked good so I didn't have them turned. I'm tempted to replace them with regular asbestos pads even though I'll be out some $$$ for the pads.

Any thoughts on why they make the grinding sound? Will they eventually seat in and work like regular pads?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-06, 07:55 PM
"back in the day" i installed some metallics on a 67 ss and had to cut the drums at a finer rate than normal. could that be the case going from semi metallic oem type to ceramic? i assume you applied the anti squeel adhesive. just a stab in the dark

Old 01-06-06, 08:25 PM
Raybestus QS (quiete stop ceramics) are awesome pads. We use them exclusivly. I noticed that they make a hell of alot less brake dust, which means less pitting of aluminum rims too. They are alot more expensive, but I figure I do them myself, so what I save on labor its worth it.

Jim

Old 01-06-06, 08:52 PM
from past experience you should never install new pads without having the discs/rotors turned, the car will not break even and the pads will wear out fast why not do it when is only about $ 5 at your local auto parts store ?

Old 01-06-06, 10:38 PM
I appreciate your comments. I had some rotors turned on my first FWD vehicle and the rotors were so thin (they were thin to begin with) that they eventually warped and had to be replaced at around 70k miles. These pads weren't grinding yet so I didn't pull the rotors to have them turned. They were in pretty good shape.

I guess I'll look into having them turned tomorrow and then see what the ceramics do.

Old 01-09-06, 08:19 AM
what ever you decide be sure to have the tech torque the wheel lugs. mitsubishi bought me 4 rotors because the tech didn't after i requested he do so. guess he showed me.

Old 01-09-06, 04:51 PM
Exclamation Ceramic brake pads?

I'm still not convinced that ceramic brake pads are the best around. Having said that I just put my 2nd pair on my '03 Mitsubishi Galant. When I bought the 1st set I had the rotors turned. When I bought the 2nd set I bought new rotors & installed them myself...

Still squeaking eh? Sounds like maybe some shims forgot to get installed and/or anti-squeak compound. Next time 'round be sure & turn the rotors while your there!

the DOG

Old 01-09-06, 05:45 PM
Turning the rotors will not help "this" situation. As mentioned the Reybestos QS series are excellent pads for everyday street driving and they can handle light abuse. Personally, for a Buick LeSabre ceramics pads are a overkill. Save the ceramic pads for the road course track. One thing you have to keep in mind when selecting pads (besides the dusting factor) is how long does it take to bring the pads to operating temp.

Sorry you sent the money, but ditch the ceramics

Last edited by CandiMan; 01-09-06 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-09-06, 07:33 PM
the candiman's from charlotte..... home of nascar...... guess he knows brake pads. ceramics are kinda like the old semi metalics huh ? gotta put a little heat into them before the grab.

Old 01-09-06, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by flopshot
the candiman's from charlotte..... home of nascar...... guess he knows brake pads. ceramics are kinda like the old semi metalics huh ? gotta put a little heat into them before the grab.
If only that was correct. Without a doubt Charlotte is Nascar country, but I'm only 8 months new to the Charlotte area so thanks for the confident. My opinion comes from my experience other car enthusiates who enjoys a good quality all around brake pad.