1987 Toyota R22 mystery engine part

Old 01-06-06, 10:04 PM
1987 Toyota R22 mystery engine part

This is a question for Toyata owners or mechanics or people with a better manual than I have.

I was adjusting the idle on my Yota 4runner and noticed a strange part under the throttle. There looks like an adjustment screw for the throttle postion stop but instead of coming to rest on a piece of metal like I am used to seeing, it comes to rest on a diaphragm housing.

Here's the questionable part. The diaphragm looks like it adjusts the idle speed but the hose that leads to it terminates at what appears to be a tiny in-line filter looking thingy. There is another nipple at the bottom of the thingy but no hose is there. It's just hanging by itself. I blew into it and it may be a one-way valve.

Should there be another hose continuing from the thingy and on to some other part of the engine that talks with the idle adjustor?

Is it a part that I can do away with? Just put a metal stopper under the idle adjustment screw?

I have fluctuating idle speeds. Either too high or, if I pull back on the gas pedal with my foot, right speed. If I pull too hard, I can cut the engine.

Engine runs strong otherwise. It's pretty new.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-06, 04:03 AM
Thatís the way it suppose to be, it's a dashpot to stop the throttle from closing to quickly.

That adjustment must allow the throttle to close completely on the regular throttle stop. The filter is missing off the end, no big deal, in fact you could lose the whole dashpot.

Whatís your problem, idle fluctuating up and down?

Old 01-07-06, 06:15 AM
Idles one extremem to the other

If I tweak it up tight, it runs a bit high at the stop signs.
If I loosen it any to slow it down, I get rough starting and stalls at the stop signs.

Old 01-07-06, 06:47 AM
Thats not the idle speed adjustment. Back it off so it is slow. Then their is a large screw about 3/8" in dia facing up on the throttle body. Screw that CC to raise idle speed

Old 01-07-06, 09:43 AM
Chilton drawings stink

I started to figure that the big guy on the intake was the idle screw. Wasn't real clear in the Chilton drawing.

When I'm winging it like that, I go with the adjustment that I can see so I can witness the actions. The big idle screw didn't look like much from just inspecting it.

I can probably get it running correctly from just hearing a good speed. Gave away my tach when I ran out of regular ignitions. Only one left is the 84 Suburban and I do that by listening lately. (It's a local vehicle.)

Old 01-07-06, 09:44 AM
Do away witht he dash pot?

Do you mean just remove it and let the throttle bottom out on its own? I could do that. The dash pot feels mushy and I thought that's where the variable idle was coming from.

Old 01-07-06, 10:15 AM
Send me a PM of your email and I will send you pdf of manuel with the procedure