Need help with exhaust work

Old 01-07-06, 01:14 PM
acura280
Visiting Guest
Need help with exhaust work

I need to put a new muffler on a 1998 Grand Cherokee. I attempted once to remove the old muffler and had no luck. It would not budge when I removed the clamps and attempted to hit it with a hammer.

I recently got an air hammer. If I remove the clamps and use a chisle tip on the air hammer where the catalytic converter and the muffler join will this work?? is this an appropriate way? The exhaust is only one year old, it is just too loud, it is a dynomax muffler and I plan to replace it with an OEM>

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-06, 02:09 PM
All muffler shops have hydraulic swagging tools and cutting torches to deal with stubborn exhaust. In the past 20 years, muffler work has changed from the domain of DIY'ers to muffler shops that have sawing, cutting, welding and bending tools.

I would be hesitant to beat on the cat's tube, for risk of botching it. See if you can get to a nice clean, safe spot, away from the cat, then cut the pipe off with a hacksaw. Then buy appropriate connectors to attach the new muffler.

Old 01-08-06, 05:03 AM
Just cut it off right behide the muffler and put the new one on, might need to get a Extension Pipe