Lighting issues

Old 01-07-06, 08:36 PM
JJ1
Unhappy Lighting issues

I have a '98 Sunfire with daytime running lights, I have no headlights when I turn on the switch I get only park lights and dash lights. I have replaced the relay switch, any other ideas before I tear apart the dash and start following wires?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-06, 09:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not familiar with your set up, but try this. Turn on the headlights and if no light, flip on the high beams. If they work, it is probable that both low beams have burned out and need to be replaced. People often do not realize that one light is burned out until the second one goes.

Old 01-07-06, 09:52 PM
JJ1
Thanx, just recently replaced both bulbs as well, High beams not working either

Old 01-08-06, 05:45 AM
What were the symptoms for the failure, meaning, before you changed both bulbs?

Did you change the bulbs one at a time, etc? Did they both stop working at once, or one at a time, or after you installed fog lamps, or did you just buy the car or what?

Old 01-10-06, 10:39 PM
JJ1
Originally Posted by Lugnut
What were the symptoms for the failure, meaning, before you changed both bulbs?

Did you change the bulbs one at a time, etc? Did they both stop working at once, or one at a time, or after you installed fog lamps, or did you just buy the car or what?

Before I changed the bulbs the lights flashed on and off several times when I started the car to let me know that I had a blown bulb. I changed them both at the same time and things were okay. It is now a year later and my lights won't turn on at all. I have running lights, but no headlights. I have replaced the Daytime Running Light relay and have just bought a new signal / headlight switch that I will be replacing tomorrow.

Old 01-11-06, 02:29 PM
So you have not replaced the bulbs since last year? As Goldstar stated, people don't notice a burn out till they both burn out. Check bulbs.

Old 01-15-06, 12:30 PM
JJ1
Bulbs were both fine, thanks, after tearing apart the steering column and replacing the signal headlight switch they work great. Thanks for the input guys