locked out

Old 01-09-06, 01:52 PM
houdeshell
Visiting Guest
locked out

I have a 1994 Mercury Cougar that wants to keep me out. The door locks do not want to unlock from the outside. Is this a job for the body shop/mechanic or something I can do with basic hand tools? I'm kinda lost on how to remove the door panels to gain access to the lock works. Any help?

Old 01-10-06, 05:25 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can you clarify "locks do not want to unlock from the outside"? Is this with key, door handle, or key fob?

Any repair would involve removing the interior door panel. It's all nuts and bolts with some prying on the edges.

Old 01-10-06, 07:12 AM
I
Removing door panels is easy. You need a special tool, and you have to be real careful not to rip the cardboard.

Old 01-11-06, 05:10 PM
houdeshell
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Kestas
Can you clarify "locks do not want to unlock from the outside"? Is this with key, door handle, or key fob?

Any repair would involve removing the interior door panel. It's all nuts and bolts with some prying on the edges.
That would be with the key . The doors lock and unlock from the inside with electric button.

Old 01-11-06, 05:13 PM
houdeshell
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Icondude
Removing door panels is easy. You need a special tool, and you have to be real careful not to rip the cardboard.
When you say special tool are you talking about a pry type tool?

Old 01-12-06, 06:03 AM
K
The grease in the latch mechanism inside the door has probably dried up and turned hard. It's a big job to remove this part, clean it up and regrease it. My experience tells me this needs to be done every 10 years on cars.

Sometimes it's the lock motor that starts to sieze up - another known weak point. Though it still works when energized, the key has to mechanically move the lock motor, which can be difficult.

Yes, they make a special tool for the door panel, but as a DIYer, I simply use a large screwdriver.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: