Total labor cost for Ford 5.4l engine replacement

Old 01-11-06, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Total labor cost for Ford 5.4l engine replacement

I have had the misfortune of having my '99 F150, 4X4, Lariat with a 5.4l, VIN "L" engine vandalized by way of having a substantial quantity of liquor (Jim Beam, I believe) poured into the gas tank and subsequently causing extensive damage to the fuel system as well as the internals ultimately seizing the engine tight. Upon disassembly by my preferred auto shop, I, as well as the owner and mechanics of the shop, couldn't believe the amount of engine damage. Needless to say, the engine needs to be replaced. How many labor hours would be needed to do such a repair, start to finish assuming a used, complete, junk-yard engine is being installed as the replacement? Bear in mind the need to clean (remove) any remaining "fuel" left in the system (tank, lines, rails, pump(s), intake, throttle body, etc.) and the fact that the liquor infiltrated the engine oil system as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-06, 01:39 PM
Yikes

Not so sure about the cost of a new engine I would questamate in the 1700 dollar range + or- 2 hundred.Question can you claim it on insurance?They must have poured a great quanity in there since the stuff burns anyway.

Old 01-11-06, 06:26 PM
No doubt. Your insurance company should take care of it for you. All the contamination jobs I do are covered by insurance, that is, if they have full coverage.

Old 01-11-06, 10:09 PM
another tidbit to add.....locking gas cap afterwards, it should be insurance covered (if its full cov.) ,man that wasn't a cheap screw over for the idiot who did it either......

Old 01-12-06, 02:51 AM
Insurance does cover this, but, this truck was purchased new by me and was immaculate and well cared for and all the insurance company will do is replace it with a used,junk-yard engine that has more mileage than mine had. They claim they merely have to get it back to "pre-loss condition". Well, I'm here to tell you that I'm getting shafted twice now. First the booze, now the scrap engine. If I choose to do it right (with a Jasper engine) it will cost me another $2500 or so out of my pocket. Wait til I get ahold of the guy who did this! Any ideas on man-hours need to do this job...start to finish?

Old 01-12-06, 04:15 AM
You should be able to call any Ford service dept and they will tell you the labor or you could look it up in a Chiltons manual.

**Side note. If you would have bought a Chevy, it would have burned that jim Beam just like it was gas.

Old 01-12-06, 11:05 AM
It coest me $4000 for a Jasper engine (parts and labor) about 4 years ago. I recall that something close to $1000 jsut for the labor and over $2500 for the engine itself. For some reason I've noticed that V8's cost considerbly less for the engine (I have no idea why).