1998 Ford Explorer Door Lock Won't Work

Old 01-11-06, 04:48 PM
1998 Ford Explorer Door Lock Won't Work

I recently began experiencing a problem where my driver's side power door lock on my 1998 Explorer Sport won't work. It started on Monday and just did it off and on - sometimes it would work fine, other times it would not unlock.

It will lock just fine, but then it won't unlock using the button on either of the doors, the keypad on the outside of the door, pulling the handle from the inside, or the remote entry.

If I pull the handle from the inside, I can sometimes get enough grip to pull the lock up. However, I had to enter from the passenger side today at the post office because after I came back out it wouldn't open.

The passenger side and the gate work fine.

Does this sound like a problem with the actuator? Is it easy to fix, and if so, how? I looked in my owners manual, and that didn't seem to be much help. Would it be easier to take it to the shop?

If that is the problem, what is a ball park on how much a shop might charge to repair it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by FLTaxLaw; 01-11-06 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-06, 11:45 PM
ASEPartsman
Visiting Guest
Does it unlock when you use your key?

Old 01-12-06, 05:14 AM
Originally Posted by ASEPartsman
Does it unlock when you use your key?
No, but I'm not sure that it ever has because I have never had to use it, and the couple of times I tried it, it didn't work (Ford only gives you the one key, and for some reason it doesn't work in the lock).

If I get it unlocked, I can use the button and the keyless entry to lock it and unlock it. I.e. it works if I do it within a few seconds of each other, but if it stays locked for an extended period of time, it won't unlock.

Old 01-12-06, 07:58 PM
Is there somewhere that I can find information on how to replace the actuator?

If I went to AutoZone and bought one, would they be able to assist me in replacing it? Or would they not undertake something of that nature?

Thanks.