99 Taurus Powersteering Pump...

Old 01-13-06, 02:18 PM
99 Taurus Powersteering Pump...

My sister just called and said "the shop" told her it was the pump. They want $350 to replace. The part at most costs $87 from Murray's (same place "the shop" would send US to go get it) How hard is this, I have done some things to cars (nothing that I can say in this family forum ) Brake changes, replace calipers, water pumps.

Do I have the ability to do this and what tricks might there be to make it easier and successful??

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-06, 02:43 PM
The pump is a DIY job. Call for other quotes to check costs. Be sure you only need the pump and not the lower steering assembly, which would be more work.

Old 01-13-06, 06:11 PM
Ok

I am gonna just replace the pump tomorrow. Any hints??? Thanks for quick reply.

Old 01-14-06, 02:17 AM
please post back

I have no tips but would like to know how it went Please post back do you have the Vulcan engine?or the Duratec.

Old 01-14-06, 05:35 AM
no idea which engine...

I am going to talk to the guys at Murrays today and see what they say. Will post back b4 the football games (I am useless when they are on)

Old 01-14-06, 09:31 AM
Didnt do it...

need to remove pulley to take off unit. Wasnt comfortable in doing that or with ensuring new pulley would go on perfect. Let my buddy do it. (Good mechanic who works at Ford) Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-14-06, 01:56 PM
thats ok

Thats OK from what I can see Ford did us DIY people a injustce when the designed the late Ford Taurus looks like the only easy part is the alternator.To replace the radiatior it looks like you need to pull the front of the car off yep I dont blame you one bit.
It is too bad because not only did they build the car around the engine they made it unreliable otherwise it is a great car.

Old 01-14-06, 05:43 PM
maybe

if it would have been my car (and not carrying my niece and nephews daily) I would have done it. Last thing I need is for that pulley to fall off. PLUS it was cold and windy this weekend and she needs the car by Monday. Yeah, great car just cant work on it too easy and most have bad trannys. Loved those cars. Especially SHO.