Probable oil pan leak

Old 01-14-06, 08:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Probable oil pan leak

Hello!! I drive an 89 Cherokee 4.0L 6cyl. I am pretty sure that the oil pan gasket is leaking. I checked out the cost since that kind of work is not my strong suit. The gasket costs $7 but there is 4 hours of labor involved due to a crossmember being in the way. I presently cannot affford this. Would putting RTV sealant around the area help with the leak or should I just keep adding oil for now. I do not like the thought of this kind of jury-rigging but I do not have a choice right now.

Thank you much for any input,

Have a good one!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-06, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk
Would putting RTV sealant around the area help with the leak ....
No, it will continue to leak until you replace the gasket.

Old 01-14-06, 12:20 PM
don't tell anyone at the track but i've done that. it's totally shade tree. used a can of brake clean, dried off well, and used orange silicone to fill the V between the block and the pan. what have you got to lose ? four or five dollars ? no oil pressure, not below the oil level, i'd try it.

Old 01-17-06, 11:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it was just the pan to drop and replace the gasket, I could do it in my driveway. However there is a crossmember that has to be taken off before doing this and this sounds like more than a driveway job, especially since I have never dropped a crossmember and have visions of the vehicle collapsing somehow on top of me. Oil pressure is fine, it is a kinda sporadic leak. Sometimes it's a quart a day other times it is three to 4 days between quarts. Thank you much for the input guys. The oil leak doesn't freak me out totally since the vehicle has 182K on it and I have had some vehicles in the past that used oil like it was going out of style, it would just be nice not to have to check the oil daily and not to hear "you again?" when I buy oil.