Brakes Smoking

Old 01-14-06, 04:20 PM
jabari
Visiting Guest
Red face Brakes Smoking

I have a 1997 Toyota Camry 4cylinder automatic transmission. I just changed my front brakes (Pads/Rotors). After driving 3 to 4 miles my brakes begin to start smoking. There are no leaks and the calipers look good. I double checked my work and everything is installed correctly. Could it be the Rotor or Pads? I took off the Rotor from Napa and put the one that was on it at first and the smoking stoped for a while. I brought the rotors and pads from NAPA. Everytime I don't put OEM equipment on this car I have problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-06, 04:24 PM
did you clean the rotors before you installed the pads ?

Old 01-14-06, 04:29 PM
jabari
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

No I did not clean them. I never do. I just spray some brake cleaner on them. Do you thinK that this could be causing the problem?

Old 01-14-06, 04:51 PM
does wheel spin

Does wheel spin free when you jack it up?It should maybe just a little bit of rubbing but not much.

Old 01-14-06, 04:54 PM
jabari
Visiting Guest
Yes the wheel spends OK. The smoke looks like it is coming from back side of rotor.

Old 01-14-06, 04:58 PM
ok dont panic

Ok first check fluid not too high.Brakes feel good?You might have some oil on the disk or pad that will smoke.Piston moves in and out OK?You did not pop out piston I hope when you insalled the pads.

Old 01-14-06, 05:29 PM
jabari
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

OK, fluid level is high.But I think that this is beacuse, fluid was forced back up to the master cylinder by depressing the piston to install the new pads. I think pistons are ok. Don't know about pads and rotor!! I will take the pads and rotor off and clean them. What do you recomend I clean them with?

Old 01-14-06, 05:37 PM
brake cleaner

Clean them with spray brake cleaner.Yes fluid will be high with new pads just make sure it is not to high or it will make a mess and might keep piston from going back in.But it sounds like you just have dirty pads or rotars or both.Go for a drive and feel the rim it should be cool to touch if hot you have problem if cool good job.

Old 01-14-06, 06:41 PM
Just a thought. When you least expect it, a car will require correct placement of pads, i.e. left/right, inside, outside. I know because I put one on in reverse, but I'll deny it.

Old 01-14-06, 06:46 PM
some new rotors are coated with a thin film of oil to prevent rusting while stored . clean them off with brakecleaner, and make sure you clean down in the vents.

Search this Thread