MAF sensor

Old 01-16-06, 01:32 AM
MAF sensor

'94 Mitsubishi RVR Sports Gear running crappy, doesn't accellerate smoothly. Push the pedal to the medal and it sputters and backfires.
Have read about this sensor and just wondering if anyone has been
there and could tell me what to expect in terms of cost and hassle.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-06, 05:56 AM
I don't know about Mitsubishi, but on my Ford it can be removed and cleaned easily enough.

Old 01-16-06, 12:14 PM
Sounds good.

Anyone out there reckon this is DYI material and if so how about a walk through?

Old 01-16-06, 02:28 PM
cant hurt

The thing is I dont know were it is on your car you need to get a book and find location.Cleaning is simple but must be done with great care.
Once you remove the part (it will be in the intake tube) and it has wires hooked to it.
You can use carb cleaner or I use contact cleaner spray the wires (be carefull the wires are very thin do not touch them in any way with spray nozzle.)Do not drop it either treat it like a egg they cost big bucks.Ok spray the wires well and let it air dry put it back in and see if that helps.
It cant hurt and the MAF does get dirty after many miles.Also if you have a K&N oil filter it can cause MAF problems.

Old 01-16-06, 03:10 PM
Thank you so much.

Thanks mate,

Sounds like a little more than I am prepared to do, I don't even own a socket set!
Anyway, as I was buzzing to work early this morning I almost felt as though it had fixed itself, and then not. I will be taking it into the dealer and see what they have to say.
Thank you so much for taking your time to reply to my querry, you are very kind.

Enjoy,
steven

Old 01-16-06, 09:25 PM
Totally stoked!

Well, I just returned from the dealer and they said I put the wrong plugs in the car. They replaced them and gave me back the Champion plugs I had put in for no charge. Gotta love that!

Thank you all for your help!

Old 01-17-06, 04:18 AM
Good deal

All right glad you got her fixed next time you will know that plugs must be repalaced with correct ones.
What did you put in and what type did they use?were they the wrong heat range?

Old 01-17-06, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the reply, mate.

I went to a big chain store and they have the catalogs and some kid helped me to get 4 Champion plugs. I thought perhaps they neede to be gapped but I also thought that they are pre-gapped these days, been a while since I owned a car, and the first one in Japan. The service manager gave them back to me and also said that I should change the leads, which I really want to do because it is running much better but still a little iffy. I am hoping to see a dramatic improvement. It's a '94 and he said the previous owner or owners never changed the leads. By the way, changing the leads is very simple right, I haven't even looked under the hood again. But I will and I am going to find out where to purchase them. He said it would only be $100.00,
I hope that means if I had it done, because I think I can do that. Do you think a set of leads would cost that much?

Again, thank you so much for taking your time to reply to my post and I greatly appreciate it.

Kind regards,
steven

Old 01-17-06, 06:06 PM
cost

The cost does seem a little high but some sets do cost that much.I would get a good quality set and for 100 dollars they should be.Since you said you do not even own a socket set stay with the wires that are pre made for your car ,and stay away from the ones you make yourself or universal sets.

Old 01-17-06, 06:45 PM
Okidokie

Gotcha, thanks.