Ford Contour Timing chain job turns into engine replacement

Old 01-14-06, 08:25 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Ford Contour Timing chain job turns into engine replacement

I hope someone can help me here.
I towed my 1998 Ford Contour into the dealership. They diagnosed the timing chain was the problem. It would cost about $800 for the repair. They told me they would not know in advance if there would be any further repairs until they could get that repaired, after that was completed they said the head was cracked.
Now I have them replacing the engine.
My question is, are there cars out there that when the timing chain snaps(breaks)that the engine is frozen for (lack of better words)to prevent the extra damage and needing an engine instead. I find it hard to believe that the trained experts cannot see this before hand and charge $800 before replacing the engine. If so where can I find this information so I can show them I know this hopefully get credit back on the parts and some of the labor charged.

Old 01-15-06, 02:26 AM
M
lots of cars

There are a lot of cars out there when belt or chain breaks engine is toast,I do not know if yours is one I know most Hondas are like that.Valves hit top of pistons and make a big mess.There are also cars that nothing happens because of plenty of clearance between valves and piston tops.Toyota (many) are like that.
So the first thing to do is find out if your engine is a valve eater or not.

Old 01-15-06, 07:02 AM
Bubba Bob
Visiting Guest
Going by this, your engine isnt a "valve eater".

How fast were you goin when the chain broke?

Old 01-15-06, 02:39 PM
T
Originally Posted by Bubba Bob
Going by this, your engine isnt a "valve eater".

How fast were you goin when the chain broke?
I was going about 25- 30 mph, I started the car, let it warm 4 or 5 minutes, and within a half mile the car died, no warning no noise no clunking at all!
I noticed the car died by the tachometer, there was no reading at all.
Again no warning, no noise, no clunking.
The site you gave is very interesting,

1998 CONTOUR
L4 2.0L FI VIN 3
Timing Belt (Camshaft)
Timing Component Kit
120,000 (a)

Is this enough information, to say to the dealership, I am questioning their judgement, about timing belt replacement?
If not, what do you suggest, or how do I obtain this type of information from the manufacturer.
You know $800 is $800!
any further information would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

Old 01-15-06, 03:38 PM
M
a little confused

You say they replaced the belt for 800 dollars and after it was all back togeather the head was cracked? and now you say you have them replacinig engine? Is this right?
Why the engine?The head can be replaced (if it is indeed cracked).

Old 01-15-06, 04:03 PM
Bubba Bob
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by michael van
You say they replaced the belt for 800 dollars and after it was all back togeather the head was cracked? and now you say you have them replacinig engine? Is this right?
Why the engine?The head can be replaced (if it is indeed cracked).
Agreed.

If they havent done part of the work yet, have your car towed to a private mechanic and see what he says.

Even if the dealership is correct, the labor costs will be MUCH less.

Old 01-15-06, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Definitely not a valve-bender. Gates confirms that (http://www.gates.com/downloads/downl...older=brochure).

I smell a rip-off, too, for the same reasons. Can't imagine anyone trying to sell you a replacement engine for a cracked head even if it does have one. Just curious, but how much do they want for the engine R&R?

Be sure to post back how this turns out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: