96 Maxima, replaced plugs now runs rough

Old 01-17-06, 05:39 AM
96 Maxima, replaced plugs now runs rough

What I though was an easy project has turned sour. 1996 Nissan Maxima was running OK, but I just bought it recently so I thought I would replace the spark plugs to maybe get better gas mileage. I went to Pep Boys, and they sold me the wrong plugs. I didn't realize it until I installed them, and the car ran rough. I didn't drive it, just stared it up in the driveway. I took them out thinking the screw on tips were the wrong ones, so I tried the other tips that came with them. Did that, still ran rough. So I really looked at the plugs and realized they were not right. The factory ones are diamond tip platinum plugs, the ones Pep Boys sold me were Bosch plugs, no where near the same. Anyway I got the right plugs ($15 each), installed them, now the car still runs rough. I checked all the plugs to make sure they were tight, and checked to see if I maybe unplugged a connection somewhere when I was messin with the plugs. Don't see anything, wondering now if having the wrong plugs in did some other damage. There is no coil or traditional plug wires. I think each plug has its own little coil that sits onto of the sparkplug itself. Itís my first Nissan so I am learning. Any thoughts on what it might be before I take it into the shop? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-06, 05:52 AM
hi
do a compression test
you migh have puncture a cylinder

good luck

Old 01-17-06, 06:00 AM
a few easy things

A few easy things to check check for any moisture in your coil pack tubes double check all elecrical connections were the wires connect to the coil packs.
When you removed the wrong plugs you did not see any physical damage to the plug did you?(hope not).You did check the gap before you put in the new plugs?

Last edited by michael van; 01-17-06 at 06:07 AM. Reason: add
Old 01-17-06, 06:06 AM
Thanks to both. Punctured cylinder? Not what I wanted to hear. The lenght of the bottom end of the plugs I think were the same, it was the top end that touches the coil pack that might have been to long, but I'll compare the plugs tonight.

There shouldn't be any moisture, but I did spay a little bit of lubricant on one of the rubber areas of one of the coil packs when I was reinstalling it. This one pack was kind of hard to get back in at an angle, so I sprayed al litte lubricant on it trying to get it back in. It wasn't much tought. It was just on one cylinder. Would that affect the performance? Thanks.

Old 01-17-06, 06:13 AM
lube

It could be the lube and yes one plug bad will make it run rough.Clean up the lube with rubbing alcohol and try again.What kind of lubedid you use?Plug could be miss firing because of the lube I would clean that well first.

Old 01-17-06, 06:21 AM
lube

MIchael,

It was some heavy duty corrosion inhibitor that I use on my boat to spray connections. I didn't think it was that much and I just sprayed it on the rubber boot that slides down the tube that goes to the spark plug. I will pull that tonight and check it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 01-17-06, 06:38 AM
If you must lube

If you must use lube use Dielectric grease it is non conductive it comes in a tube and is like a thick toothpaste in consistincy.

Old 01-17-06, 01:41 PM
Get a multimeter and check the continuity of all the wires. I changed the plugs on the girlfriends toyota and had the same issue as you, ran really bad.

Turns out it was not firing on one cylinder, one of the plug wires cores let go when I pulled the plug wires. Were your wires difficult to remove from the plug?

Old 01-18-06, 05:42 AM
96 Maxima spark plugs

Well yesterday was stressfull day at work, wondering what I could have done to mess this up. Punctured cylinder was not what I needed. When I got home I pulled the one coil pack and plug that I put the lube on. When looking at the coil pack, I saw that one of the prongs on the connector was bent back, and althought the connector attached to the coil pack all the way, one prong was bent back and was not making contact. I bent it back, reconnected and its good to go. A huge relief. I thought it was something simple, but when you get frustrated sometimes you work to quickly, or don't think things through. Thanks for all the feedback. Hopefully my experience will help others that find themselves with a similar problem.

Old 01-18-06, 06:07 AM
outstanding

Good deal glad it was something simple a bent prong will do it.Next time you will know glad you posted back with results.

Search this Thread