Paint

Old 01-17-06, 09:10 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint

I'm thinking about painting my own car. a 1970 Volkswagen Beetle. Anyone know of a good forum to log into?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-06, 12:38 PM
F
you can learn alot from your auto paint rep, maybe a continuing education class at a community college.

Old 01-22-06, 06:37 AM
H
I also need to paint the door and tailgate on my Ranger so I will need some advice too, I have an idea on how to go about it but not sure, I don't want to screw it up.

Old 01-22-06, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 26 Votes on 25 Posts
Autobody repair and painting are a hobby of mine but even though I have all the equipment, including a recently purchased HVLP sprayer, I farm out spraying of larger areas.
Depending on what you have to work with, the bodywork and paint prep is the most time consuming and expensive part.
There is a lot of information on the web and a search using terms like "autobody painting tips" or similar will yield a lot of hits.

I would suggest you research this fully because there is a fair bit of equipment and tools you will have to purchase.
If it will be a one time thing then you likely will not save any money, it could maybe even cost you more, especially at the price of the supplies and paint.

C'mon back if you have any specific questions.

Old 01-22-06, 01:03 PM
H
I have only a door and the tailgate I need to paint, I wonder if Duplicolor is the way to go being I have so little to paint.

Old 01-22-06, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 26 Votes on 25 Posts
hiltontech,

If you are concerned about screwing it up then I would say that Duplicolor would not be the way to go.
This is a one part finish which if the color even was close, the sheen and longevity would be nowhere near the original.
The parts you do with this paint would stand out like a sore thumb in six months to a year.

It depends what you want though. How long do you plan to keep the truck?
Spray bombs might be better that a roller and rust paint though.

Spray painting takes a certain nack and if you wanted to learn you need only buy extra paint and give yourself a fair bit of practice before you try it on something important.
One of my first "completes" had to be washed of with solvent.

Old 01-22-06, 03:39 PM
F
it's old school but a lacquer job is more forgiving and a good way to learn the gun. if you mess up you can just sand it out and respray. problem is when your done you need to color sand and compound to get a gloss.

Old 01-23-06, 07:56 AM
M
paint

what do you want to know, i have just sold my autobody shop of 20 years,it will come down to money , i would be more than willing to help you out in any way i can , Milt

Old 01-24-06, 10:41 AM
I
The only way to do it is with an air compressor and HVLP paint gun. Just practice on something before you do it on the car. It's not difficult.

Old 01-24-06, 04:14 PM
H
I have all of the equipment that I need, wondering how to mix the paint, do I have to cut it before putting in the paint gun?, also, How do I go about spraying the clear?, how long do I have to wait to apply the clear?

Thanks,

Kevin