Stripped out drain plug

Old 01-18-06, 07:11 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stripped out drain plug

I have a stripped out drain plug on the bottom of 4-Runner. The problem is that I didn't realise it was stripped until the bolt was almost snug with the drain pan. Now, I cannot get the bolt to tighten and more, nor can I get it back out. I've tried pulling on it while turning it with a pair of pliers. Obviously, it had a slow leak to it, which I have been able to stop with some high temp silicone. It has been sealed like this for several days now. However, I'm concerned that it may not hold up if I take the vehicle on a long trip. Should I be concerned about this? Should I try and replace it with a new bolt? Any suggestions on how to get it out? Both the bolt and pan are steel. Is it correct to assume that it is the threads on the bolt that are stripped, and not on the pan (female) end? I would really like to solve this without taking the vehicle to a shop. I got myself in this mess. Wanna get myself out. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Old 01-18-06, 07:58 PM
oil pan plug

not a good idea to even run it like that let alone a long trip, take oil filter out try , see how much oil comes out of the engine before you start fixing this.Sears carries some specialty tools to deal with issues when they happen check em out . dont forget to use safety glasses to protect from shrapnel.
In my experience is usually the thread on the plug ( male ) that gets messed up but if is still in position and you dont use major force i dont see why threads would be bad.

Old 01-19-06, 07:29 AM
S
Originally Posted by tool73
I have a stripped out drain plug on the bottom of 4-Runner. The problem is that I didn't realise it was stripped until the bolt was almost snug with the drain pan. Now, I cannot get the bolt to tighten and more, nor can I get it back out. I've tried pulling on it while turning it with a pair of pliers. Obviously, it had a slow leak to it, which I have been able to stop with some high temp silicone. It has been sealed like this for several days now. However, I'm concerned that it may not hold up if I take the vehicle on a long trip. Should I be concerned about this? Should I try and replace it with a new bolt? Any suggestions on how to get it out? Both the bolt and pan are steel. Is it correct to assume that it is the threads on the bolt that are stripped, and not on the pan (female) end? I would really like to solve this without taking the vehicle to a shop. I got myself in this mess. Wanna get myself out. Any guidance would be appreciated.
You need to wedge something under the plug head, anything ground to a shallow V. While wedged turn the plug out, may take a little doing. Then get an oversized self tapping drain plug.

Old 01-19-06, 10:42 AM
I
This is an oil pan, isn't it?

I would think that you would need to procure a new oil pan bolt, and the appropriate tap bit to fix the threads in the pan. Does this require further explanation? If that doesn't work then you could just use a larger pan bolt and a larger bit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: