1987 Chevy Caprice is chocking?

Old 01-19-06, 08:13 AM
1987 Chevy Caprice is chocking?

I was driving down the freeway and my caprice started to lose power. The only way to keep it going was to pump the gas. I think I need a new fuel filter. Any one know what this might be?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-06, 08:33 AM
fuel filter

Fuel filter is a good place to start go to the parts store and get one so you can see what it looks like.
It is in the fuel line and you might have two it removes dirt from your fuel before it goes into the carb.Sometimes they are located under the car on the side of the frame.

Old 01-19-06, 08:36 AM
it could be a filter, by "pumping" the pedal you are pulling fuel from the bottom of the float bowl in the carb to make up for fuel you're not getting through the normal path. could also be a low or bad float / needle problem, fuel pump etc. try the filter first. all of this is assumes you have a carburated engine and not fuel injection. good luck

Old 01-19-06, 11:23 AM
the fuel filter is in the back of the carborator right? I just have to unscrew the botl and pull it out and put the new one back in?

Old 01-19-06, 11:37 AM
back, front, or side, depends on the carb. follow the fuel line. 9/16 or so wrench to remove fuel line, larger nut to remove filter housing. hold the larger nut while you turn the smaller flair nut loose. be very carefull as the materials are soft and will strip or round off . try to use fuel line wrenches.
as mike said there may also be an inline filter or two depending what the previous owner (s) may have done. they would be hard plumbed canisters about 4" long and 2-3 " wide. possibly plumbed with rubber line and clamps too. if you go buy the filter first you can look at the illustration to find the location of the filter that is in question.

Old 01-19-06, 02:25 PM
I'll offer a second perspective just for the fun of it. First I am assuming this is a fuel injected car and not carbuerated, (87 caprice)

If you have 1 or 2 gallons of gas left, the engine will fade in and out, particularly around sweeping highway curves. The drivers reaction is to pump or floor the gas. The engine soon recovers, on its own, since there is no mechanical accelerator pump as found in a carbuerator, and so the driver mistakenly thinks the pedal saved the engine from dying.

Hence, my first theory is that you are nearly out of gas! You have only 10 miles at most till it dies.

Old 01-19-06, 11:37 PM
from still having a 80 caprice, yours is most likely fuel injected, they went to it not long after, where as mine is carburated, it has a mechanical fuel pump.

Old 01-23-06, 02:18 PM
I changed the fuel filter and the car still will not stayed on. What is the next step I should go to. Any advice let me know.