Easy Integra tranny replacement

Old 01-19-06, 05:20 PM
WGW
Easy Integra tranny replacement

My shift stick is very sloppy and is sometimes almost impossible to find reverse gear, besides the wife and daughter can't drive standard shift (it's not the advantage you'd think!), so I'm thinking of replacing the transmission with an automatic bought from a reputable local wrecker ($400.).
I have a good selection of tools and fair automotive repair experience but not on trannys.
Are there any special tools or procedures I should be aware of to reduce the chance of regretting ever thinking of doing this myself?

A Transmission($400), steering rack($100), gas tank($50), windshield(not priced yet) and some metal work on the body(Est;$2000) and she'll be like a new car but with 300 grand on her clock.

Still, I think it'd be cheaper than buying a replacement car no?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-06, 06:56 PM
transmission

it's not just a swap thing but more of a major conversion that will have to include some modification to the interior so you know which gear you're driving on etc.
now manual does have its advantages like better mpg and more torque, but it's a personal decision in the end.
i.m.o. not a diy job, why not just trade it in ?

Old 01-20-06, 01:50 AM
I concur

Not an easy swap you will need all the wiring harness as well as computer parts,as stated the linkage and parts,maybe new mounts.It is can be done but it is gonna cost and it will take lots of time money and headaces.(not just a bolt in).
How good are your skills at fabrication?You might need a few welding skills and some good metal cutting tools.

Old 01-20-06, 01:32 PM
WGW
Thanks for responding gentlemen

LouBazooka;
I doubt that I'd get much for it as a trade in besides, the other option would be another used car likely bought in a private sale at this point.

michael van;
My welding skills are pretty good and modifying a bit is something I think I could handle as well. This car is a 1990, so I don't beleive it has a computer to worry about.
Wiring harness? Would that be if the was a computer on board?

I wish I lived in a warmer climate....then I'd just finish up the restoration of my 70 MGB and drive that!

Regards

Old 01-21-06, 12:02 PM
Unless you are really in love with the car...save yourself both the time and the money and go buy an automatic.

Your car is definitly computer controlled as is the tranny. You will need a new Engine control unit (computer) likewise you will need a new instrument cluster, center console and shift mechanism as well as cables, new motor mounts, likely new axles (different length), new Radiator (tranny cooler stuff), new flywheel as weel as complete engine wire harness and likely a dash wiring harness as well.

It can be done but will likely be cheaper to just buy a car that is already automatic.

As far as the sloppy shifter...that can be common on this model. You can replace the shifter bushings (very cost effective). There is 3 bushings at the rear of the shift linkage just above the catayltic convertor area under the car and I would recommend the other bushing at the transmission as well. Energy suspension carry's aftermarket polyurethane bushings or you can get the factory bushings from Acura.

Old 01-21-06, 02:38 PM
WGW
Holy smokes Galloway;
That's what I was looking for in an answer I guess. If all those things are needed then at least I can see the job is way over my head so the idea is dropped like a hot potato. The car I love is my MGB, the Integra is simply a means of transportation.
Guess I'll look into replacing the bushings on her and just teach stick shift to the better half and daughter if they want to drive "dads car".

Does the transmission need to be dropped to get at these bushing?
Is there any net places where I might find detailed info on the job (I have'nt found any yet), or is a manual a good idea?

Thanks again
Regards

Old 01-22-06, 08:03 AM
WGW,

No you don't have to drop tranny or really anything for that matter. Just put the car on jackstands enough to be able to slide back to the center of the car. There is 2 different shift rods that will be addressed. First there is a shift rod bolted to the rear of the tranny with a couple large washers. It will be held on by a 14mm bolt. Once you unbolt this end pull it off the tranny and you will see the bushing, it presses out of it's bore (just with hand tools, sometimes a large pair of pliers and a socket help). Re-install the new bushing and re-install the assembly. I usually use a bit of non-petroleum grease to aid install (syl-glyde or silicone based grease). The next set of bushings that are an even bigger culprit are located in the tunnel just above the exhaust. This is where the shift rods go into the cabin. You may have to unbolt a tin heat shield to get at it better, you shouldn't have to unbolt any exhaust. There are two seperate components to deal with at this end. One is the shift stabilizer rod (essentially the rod that we already changed one end of) It is held up to the body with 2 12mm bolts and has a weird looking oblong bushing thingy. Just unbolt, slide off and replace. The next is the end that actaully connects to the base of the shifter. It has a tube that 2 bushings and and inner tube fit into. There will be a 12mm nut and bolt that secure it to the shifter, remove the bolt and slide out the inner metal tube and then press out the 2 rubber bushings. Install the new bushings, tube and any washers that were on it and then re-install to shifter base.

You should now have a shifter that feels like new. While we are at it I would also adjust your clutch free play. It is a threaded adjustement at the transmission end of the clutch cable. You should be able to grab the clutch arm (were the actual clutch cable pulls) and move it up and down easily by 5-10mm (1/4" give or take). If it too tight simply loosen the plastic threaded adjusting mechanism that the cable passes through at the tranny (kinda under the battery area) until you get that freeplay.

Hope this helps fix your tranny issues.

Gord

Search this Thread