Sputter,Sputter goes my 98 Deville

Old 01-20-06, 06:55 PM
Sputter,Sputter goes my 98 Deville

I just bought a 98 Deville D'elegance. 3 days into it, the service engine lights came on which I was told by our friends at AutoZone, my number 1 cylinder was fouling out. I'm sure it's tune up time. The plugs I replaced (oh so nasty), still running weird. It feels like it's missing, but only while I'm driving, not and idle and starts and shuts down perfect. Now, if I replace the wires and the coil, and the problems continue, what could some other fixes be? The service suspension light also comes on from time to time. Any clues for the clueless?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-06, 07:07 PM
how many miles on the car ?

Old 01-21-06, 09:57 AM
It currently has 52,475 miles.

Old 01-21-06, 12:23 PM
you should have it scanned. gm sells a fair amout of crank sensors for that car

Old 01-31-06, 03:45 PM
52K is hardly anything, in an eight year old car. I'd bet that Caddy was babied around too much.

Here's what to do first.

Find a nice, dry, relatively traffic-free expressway on ramp.
Drop it in to 2nd gear and FLOOR IT..hard, all the way down.

That Northstar will take off, probably blowing some smoke out the exhaust as the carbon that's built up all over the combusition chambers gets blown out.

The car will upshift automatically at the redline. Take it to about 75-80, and then let off the gas. Let the engine braking slow the car down to about 50-55 or so.

If you have the space, do this again, perhaps a couple of times.

It may actually take half a dozen or 10 of the "WOT" maneuvers to clear out the combustion chambers and let the N* breathe again. You don't need to do them all at once.

When you see NO smoke, it's done.

This WOT is recommended for the Northstar, which is a high performance engine lurking in a blue-hair'ed lady car. Take it out and run the heck out of it at least ONCE a week, and it will be a much happier engine. You can then expect another 100K to 150K out of it.

You will see your gas mileage get better, and probably burn less oil as well.

You should not have had to replace the plugs - they are generally good for at least 100K . If you did, I HOPE you used GM AC-Delco, and no other brand.

Newer Caddys, and to a more specific extent, Northstar engines, are highly stress-tested during development. I have it on good authority that running them at redline for 24 to 36 hours was not unusual.

If you would care to discuss this offline, please contact me through any methods listed in my profile.

Jim

Old 01-31-06, 06:06 PM
belive it or not, the above post is exactly what i had to do to my aurora

Old 02-01-06, 03:05 AM
there is a good chance that plug wires or possible coil pack is causing the miss other things could cause it like an injector or other electrical problem. while the northstar is known for carboning up the pistons and using excessive amounts of oil on cars that are not driven very hard or often very low mileage this usually only causes an excessive oil usage with no other drivability problems. and gm does make a cleaner for cleaning the carbon off the pistons.