delayed reverse shift - Saturn auto

Old 01-27-06, 06:42 AM
delayed reverse shift - Saturn auto

our 95 Saturn SL2 has developed a problem shifting into reverse. There is a slight delay after moving the shifter to "R" then a very noticeable "klunk" as reverse gear engages. much more noticeable when warm, and no difference going P->R or N->R.

The car has 120K. We replaced a bad rear motor mount thinking that was it but nothing really changed. Shifting into forward gears works fine and the car drives and shifts well otherwise.

any thoughts out there? We're really just tryiing to keep this thing on the road another month or so while we work on a replacement (not Saturn!) vehicle.

TIA!

-art-

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-06, 07:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fluid level affects delay. If slight, and you are planning to get rid of it soon, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The harsh engagement could be the modulator. Check for damaged or leaking vacuum lines or modulator.

Old 01-28-06, 10:56 AM
I'm afraid the rather harsh "KLUNK!" when it finally engages is more than 'slight.' Fluid level is fine - first thing I checked. I don't think there are any vacuum lines as the Saturn trans is rather unique in how much it utilizes electrical controls/solenoids to operate. (but I'll take a quick look anyway) I fear it is something in the control unit - not something I'm prepared to replace.

btw - when I checked the fluid I do notice just a few small bubbles on the dipstick. Not what I'd call "foaming" but it did catch my eye nonetheless.

Old 01-28-06, 03:51 PM
it most likely will last you a month or more, those bubbles aren't anything to worry about, if your going to get rid of it, i've tried that lucas trans fix one time, even though i wouldn't use much of anything else they make, its good to get a little more out of em.

Old 01-28-06, 04:08 PM
thanks for the Lucas tip - I'll check it out. yeh, a month or so is all I need. basically right now it's a race between the tranny and a bad tie rod as to which one gives out first. so we try to find parking that doesn't require backing out and use the circle part of our driveway.

Old 01-30-06, 12:28 PM
natwin
Visiting Guest
I used to own a 1995 SL1 and experienced this same problem, a delayed reverse slam. I was told by the dealer that there was a problem with the valve body. Once this was replaced, the problem went away. If you do a search online in Saturn forums, you can find this mentioned fairly often. Hope this helps.

Old 01-30-06, 03:12 PM
ksion15
Visiting Guest
sandbagger,
i am a saturn tech, and your problem is more than likely (as above mentioned) the valvebody. usually the spring for the pressure regulator is broken, or the valve itself is sticking. it's fairly simple to replace. shift adaptives will have to be re-learned after replacement.

Old 01-30-06, 08:34 PM
thanks much for the good info, folks - I was beginning to fear as much. The fact that I find this to be far too common has confirmed my decision to bid farewell to Saturn (too bad - it was a nice idea).

k - when you say it's easy to replace, would that apply to a pretty good DIYer? Any special tools required? Any ideas about cost for the part?

tanx!