smoke from driver side front wheel breaks

Old 01-27-06, 08:15 AM
kasha
Visiting Guest
smoke from driver side front wheel breaks

Hi,

I have a Honda Civic 1989. I recently installed a new break booster. Since then, the breaks are going crazy on me. Some times they work OK. Some times, it is very hard to push the break pedal and car won't go more than 30-40 mph as if some one is pushing the breakpedal all the time. I observed plastic burning smell after I stop the car. Now I saw the smoke coming out from the driver side front wheel breaks area. When I installed the booster, I did not bleed the breaks...does that have anything to do with whatever is happening? If I bleed the breaks now, should that fix the problem. Is it safe to drive the car for small distances (5-10 miles) in this condition? Please advise me on this.

Your time and help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

-K

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-06, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
If you managed to do the operation without disconnecting any lines you shouldn't need to bleed. If you opened lines, definitely start there, although I doubt air in the system is your problem; normally you would get exactly the opposite response - mushy brakes that pump up with repeated applications to the brake pedal. Your car is old enough that you could have a faulty brake hose. They often fail from the inside out and cause what is essentially a checkvalve condition in the system - pressure goes to the caliper, but can't bleed back off when you release the pedal. Could also, obviously, be something going on with the booster since you worked on it last, but one of the pro's will have to ring in on that relationship.

Old 01-27-06, 11:47 AM
I agree with tow guy. Let me add that you'll have the same problem if you used anything other than brake fluid to top off the system. I speak from experience.

The car is not safe to drive.

Old 01-27-06, 12:01 PM
kasha
Visiting Guest
Thank you TOW GUY & KESTAS

Thank you TOW GUY & KESTS for your suggestions. I will check the booster & break hose to start with.
Kestas! I topped it with break fluid only. I am will not drive the car till I fix it.

Thanks,

-K

Old 01-27-06, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Jack up the front end and actuate the brakes a bunch of times and see if you can get it to lock up. Whichever side is sticking, open the bleeder and see if it unlocks; if it does, suspect the brake hose on that side.