Belt squeaks and my pump is noisy

Old 01-28-06, 06:59 PM
Belt squeaks and my pump is noisy

My 1990 Ford Ranger which I bought about a month ago runs and looks fine but my belt and power steering pump brings a noise and squeaks, I put on a new belt but I have the exact problem, what could be the cause of my problem, I would appreciate help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-06, 08:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it squeals when you turn the wheel and is quiet when the wheel is not turned, try this. With the engine running and in neutral, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and hold it there for a second or two. then turn it all the way to the left and again hold it there for a second or two. Repeat several times. Sometimes air gets into the system and causes the squealing noises you hear. This suggestion will help
'burp the baby" and may cause the noise to cease.

Old 01-29-06, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by hiltontech
My 1990 Ford Ranger which I bought about a month ago runs and looks fine but my belt and power steering pump brings a noise and squeaks, I put on a new belt but I have the exact problem, what could be the cause of my problem, I would appreciate help.
Thanks,
Kevin
First and formost if your P/S reservoir is empty it will squeal, that I'm sure you know. Do you have a serpentine belt or individual fan belts for each component? If you have a serpentine belt and your P/S reservoir is full you'll have to remove the serpentine and turn each pulley by hand. Hopefully one might feel strange and that could be the source of your squeal. If you have individual fan belts, remove one belt at a time and see if you can find the source of the squeal.

Old 01-29-06, 09:35 AM
Thanks to all who replied, I will try your advise and see what's the outcome