How to change '98 Malibu Engine Coolant Heater?

Old 01-29-06, 07:54 PM
How to change '98 Malibu Engine Coolant Heater?

Hi there,

Would anybody know how to change or repair the Engine Coolant Heater for 6 Cylinder '98 Chevy Malibu?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-06, 07:56 PM
ASEPartsman
Visiting Guest
Are you talking about a stock or aftermarket heater? Is is a freeze plug type or radiator hose heater?

Old 01-30-06, 03:07 PM
Are you talking about a stock or aftermarket heater? Is is a freeze plug type or radiator hose heater?
Hi ASE,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the confusion but it's the Engine Block Heater. It helps for cold weather starting - as we live in Toronto, Canada. As far as I know it is stock and came with the car - '98 Malibu V6 LS.

Lately it has not been working and it shows an open circuit. My dad wants to fix it himself and would like to know where it is located and how to take it out.

Thanks again.

Old 01-30-06, 08:19 PM
ASEPartsman
Visiting Guest
The heater will be located on the side of the block. (Front or back while looking under the hood.) It will look like one of the freeze plugs but will have wires coming out of it. Some of these "freeze plug heaters" have a removable plug on the heater and some do not. If it is removable unplug it and pound it out like you would a standard freeze plug using a punch and a hammer. If not removable just move cord out of the way. Replace by gently pounding new one in with a hammer until it is flush with the engine block. If yours has a removable cord and you get one with the same plug on it you can use the old cord if it is good. If not you will need to re-run the new cord. These are a nice option to have and come in many new cars here too. (Green Bay, WI). They really save on engine wear and help starting on those cold mornings. I sell a lot of them as add on items too.