96 jeep cher. 5.2L Starting Issue

Old 01-30-06, 03:25 PM
96 jeep cher. 5.2L Starting Issue

I have a 96 Jeep Cherokee w/ a 5.2L that has been sitting in storage for 9 months without being started. What should I do before I start it up? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-06, 03:33 PM
First of all you should do an oil & filter change, inspect all fluid levels (brakes ,transmission,steering ) including coolant.Check belt(s), Hoses,condition of air filter.
Check Tires, Inflate to 30-35 psi.
Make sure the brakes work and the car is not too much out of alignment before you go on the street.
Not intended as professional advice.

Old 01-30-06, 03:45 PM
Before I turn the engine over should I pull plugs and lubricate the pistons?

Old 01-30-06, 04:18 PM
if you have some help. pull the plugs, pull the coil wire. with the air cleaner off have someone turn the engine over while you spray some wd40 or like product in the intake. do this untill you show oil pressure on the gauge or the oil light goes out. don't pump the gas pedal but hold it open . this will help lube the upper end of the motor. reinstall the plugs and coil wire and crank it
check the gas in the tank. if it smells like turpentine get rid of it. do everything lou said and you should be fine. be prepared for a little black smoke and watch the oil and temp gauges.

Old 01-30-06, 04:33 PM
nobody mentioned the battery, but make sure its good, and charged, not corroded, if it isn't a maintainence free, make sure its full. as for wd-40, you could use marvel mystery oil instead, good stuff. and do check the airfilter, mice like to find places like this, and make a home.

Old 02-06-06, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the advice. It fired right up and I ran it until it reached the normal driving temp. Another question: I am pretty sure I need a new Catalytic Converter becasue when it's running I can hear a rattling sound comming from the exhaust. Could that rattling sound be the charcoal inside the converter broken free?