stripped wheel lug nut removal

Old 02-01-06, 08:21 AM
gtofan
Visiting Guest
stripped wheel lug nut removal

Hi again,

Does anyone know of a tool to remove stripped lug nuts? The rim is an aluminum rim where the lug nut is recessed and can not be cut off. Thanks for any advise.

Keith

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-06, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if your hex is stripped , you can get a socket that`ll grab it at auto parts store,

Old 02-01-06, 02:41 PM
What he said,,, and if you have a top brand name socket, just pound it on with a hammer (really tight!) and then you can remove the nut. Then take the socket and nut (now seized together) and separate them using a vise and punch. Then you get bragging rights about your brand of socket that did not split under such punishment!

Old 02-01-06, 04:52 PM
Some time ago i bought a 3/8 and 1/2 drive socket with little "pins" in the part that would normlly go over a nut,or bolt head. The beauty of it is, as you turn the socket in either direction the tighter it grips. Can't remember who the manufacture is,but i think if you try a auto supply or hardware store you will find one. Quite a tool.you can use it on all kind of nuts and bolts that are almost impossible to remove and it will fit your recessed lug nut.

Old 02-01-06, 05:34 PM
dabirdzR?T
Visiting Guest
thats called a gator grip (cannot believe i remembered that) another way is there is a socket made with reverse threads inside it that the tighter you torque it, the tighter it grips. Its made to remove locking lug nuts.

Old 02-01-06, 06:51 PM
gtofan
Visiting Guest
Can you believe none of the auto parts stores around did not caring that socket. Went to Sears Hardware and they had a package of three sizes with fluted teeth. Hammered the 17mm one on that sucker and the lug came off. Hooray. Thanks everyone for the help. Now all I have to do is get the nut out of the socket but I'm too busy celebtrating at the moment.

Thanks again

Keith

Old 02-03-06, 06:39 PM
stripped wheel nut removal

That's an easy one. Place the whole thing into a vice. Start to drill (hopefully from the center) a small a hole as you can that will go 100% thru the unit. Progressively use larger drill bits until you get everything out --- right down to the start of the interior threads. (You don't want to screw those up)

If your bits don't go as LARGE as is required to make a clearthrough - drill untill you reach the size of the largest EASYOUT. The threads in the easyout will bite into the remainder "waste" material and --- "VOILA!"

There you are back to square one!

Good luck

marwen

Old 11-01-13, 09:58 AM
had the same problem and was able to resolve it.

Once the 3/4 won't grab anymore, just grab a 18 metric (the ones that have several teeth all the way around, not the hex) Then smack it on on the lug nut with a small sludge hammer until it is on their good. Then put a ratchet on it with an extension pull, stand on the very tip of it and then with all your weight and it should crank/voila. I was just about to go take it to a shop and thought I would this and it worked. good luck.