Loud Squeaking Steering Wheel - 2004 Grand Am

Old 02-02-06, 06:22 PM
Loud Squeaking Steering Wheel - 2004 Grand Am

Starting a week or so ago, I noticed that my wife's car (Pontian Grand Am SE 2004) was making squeaking sounds when turning the steering wheel. The sounds are coming from the steering column and occur regardless how fast the wheel is turned or direction. On saturday I checked the power steering fluid and saw that it was low and refilled it. Today I had to drive the car and the sound was louder (it didn't make any sound for a few minutes of driving though). I checked the fluid and that's still fine. Does anyone have any clues what could be going on or what I can check?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-06, 08:17 PM
check level again and make sure is not the belt making all the noise,if pump still squeaks when level is ok, try changing fluid and adding some kind of additive, it looks like the pump was damaged at some point because of low fluid, pump replacement is another option and probably the best though.

Old 02-03-06, 02:56 AM
If it's the belt, what am I checking for? If the pump, I'll see what I can do there. Might letting it run it's course perhaps make it better down the road if the pump just needs to have enough new fluid run through it again?

Most importantly, should the car still be safe to drive like this?

Old 02-03-06, 09:53 AM
If it's the belt, what am I checking for? If the pump, I'll see what I can do there. Might letting it run it's course perhaps make it better down the road if the pump just needs to have enough new fluid run through it again?

Most importantly, should the car still be safe to drive like this?

Use a good flashlight and point it at the belt even in daylight this is the best way to really see the condition of the belt, check for cracks on the inner side, dont wait too long to replace it.
As for car safe to drive use your own judgement, extreme worst scenario would be a either pump seizure/ worn belt snapping or both.
If this ever happens just keep a tight control on the steering which will become a lot harder and pull over, again this would be extreme worst case.
Not Intended as Professional Advice.