Squealing noise

Old 02-02-06, 07:51 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squealing noise

Have a '93 Geo Tracker. The alternator and belts are new and the water pump looks new as well, but when I start it up it squeals for a few seconds...then it goes away. I shot some WD-40 in around the pulleys, and some belt dressing on the belts, but it still happens for a few seconds when I start it up, cold or warm. Otherwise it runs like a top.

Any ideas?

Old 02-02-06, 09:23 PM
an old and stretched belt will make your tensioner pulley " move " to compensate for stretching and this will sometimes result in tensioner squealing,make sure your belt is new, try some belt " dressing " sold at autozone to stop squealing at start up, check pulleys for correct alignment.
how new is the belt ? try changing it if its more than a year old.

Old 02-03-06, 05:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts
I would also closely check the tensioner and idler pulleys to make sure they turn freely and quietly. If in doubt, replace them; cheap insurance because when one fails it will trash the belt.

Here's some good belt info. I notice the belt configuration differs depending on the engine in your Tracker:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801dea88.jsp

Old 02-12-06, 10:31 AM
T
Guys,

You addressed things I already explained in my post.

There is no tensioner. There are 2 pulleys on the crank which direct drives the alternator and water pump, and the other the power steering pump. The alternator and water pump and belts are all new.

However, there appears to be some leaking around the power steering pump. I added some fluid and a sealer but that initial squealing persists. It appears that a replacement would be fairly easy, it's in the open etc. Can anyone with experience comment on how difficult the change-out would be? Is there anything in particular to watch for, adjust, or otherwise be aware of?

Thx

Old 02-12-06, 07:12 PM
O
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by trs4594
Guys,

There is no tensioner. There are 2 pulleys on the crank which direct drives the alternator and water pump, and the other the power steering pump. The alternator and water pump and belts are all new.

However, there appears to be some leaking around the power steering pump. I added some fluid and a sealer but that initial squealing persists. It appears that a replacement would be fairly easy, it's in the open etc. Can anyone with experience comment on how difficult the change-out would be? Is there anything in particular to watch for, adjust, or otherwise be aware of?

Thx
Some times it can be glazed pulleys. Check to see if they ars shinny if thay are take sand paper over them.

Old 02-12-06, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by trs4594
Guys,

Thx
You mean replacement of steering pump and belt or just belt ? anyway they're both very easy to replace just have somebody help you tension belt before tightening bolts/nuts , steerint pump is sold with exchange without reservoir but they'll let you use a tool to take it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: