Difference between green/pink antifreeze.

Old 02-03-06, 12:24 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Difference between green/pink antifreeze.

I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am. My hot light came on, I needed to add antifreeze so I could get home. The only stuff I could find was green antifreeze, my antifreeze is pink in the radiator. I had to mix the green with the pink in the radiator. Is this going to hurt anything? I would have use water, but I live in Buffao, NY, and its going to get cold this weekend. I had to use the green antifreeze to get home. Did I just do something wrong? Thanks...........

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-06, 01:11 PM
It used to be that pink was only for GM vehicles but now most antifreezes are approved for all kinds of vehicles.
Next time just be sure. You should look into the causes of your car overheating though, that is not a normal thing, look for possible leaks just to get started.
Also if your car severely overheated your engine oil most likely is badly degraded,get an oil change, check transmission fluid too if you have an automatic transmission.

Old 02-03-06, 02:10 PM
F
don't mix ethylene glycol and propylene glycol based coolants.

Old 02-03-06, 02:41 PM
same thing here, don't mix em, get it flushed and refilled soon.

Old 02-03-06, 06:31 PM
G
Will it ruin anything have both of them mixed together?

Old 02-03-06, 08:18 PM
S
No
The pink stuff is longer lasting 100K mile stuff
The corrosion inhibitors in the traditional green stuff only last 50K
It would take more than 15% of green stuff to "contaminate" the pink stuff, reducing it's 100K corrosion inhibitor life to less than 100K
Under no circumstances would that be considered an emergency, just a reduced effectiveness

It will not ruin anything
Nor would more than 15%
It would just ruin the 100K change interval

But wait, There's more!
Prestone now sells OAT (Organic Acid Technology-the pink stuff) compatible green stuff
It says "can mix with all coolant types" on the jug

However, if you have mixed types, depending on how many miles are on the coolant, your best bet for optimum coolant effectiveness would be to flush and refill with one or the other on your next service

Old 02-04-06, 08:28 AM
What do you do when a manufacture refuses to honor a warranty because you put in anti-freeze other than their brand?

Old 02-04-06, 08:55 AM
S
They can't
It's now against the law for them to violate the warranty when an after market part is used
They have to prove the part is responsible for the failure

But it's always a good idea to use factory recommended parts when the vehicle is still under warranty

Old 02-04-06, 09:17 AM
I agree to using manufactures parts. But this stuff with dealers denying warranty claims because the back yard mechanic used a non ford,gm,honda,chrysler,etc oil filter,or anti-freeze really needs to changed.
I can understand some of this from manufactures knowing that,for example,not all oil filters are top draw. Hence,using the manufactures products.
By the way,i'm not arguing or disagreeing with anyone on this subject,but its been a issue for years with folks like us.