rear end replacement ????

Old 02-04-06, 09:25 AM
Question rear end replacement ????

I have a 1998 jeep the large Grand Cherokee model. it has 107,000 miles on it. it's a great veh, has everything. But the rear end is making a grinding sound. I took it to a shop and they said it would have to be replaced. I can do the replacing this summer as i put it away and will have time.
What i need to know is what is the newest ( year)jeep that i can take a rear end out of and install in my 98. I plan to start looking in the area junk yards in soon

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-06, 12:30 PM
rear

The parts yards can tell you what years will fit. What you need to do is find out what gear 0.00:1 it has. Most of the time I just change the bearings & seals in the jeeps. Unless your gears are shot the new rear will need bearings also. GOOD LUCK

Old 02-07-06, 02:23 PM
you're never sure what you're getting at a yard. price the repair for bearings and seals, then with new gears before you buy someone else's junk. if you're pulling the rear and installing it saves a good amount of cash

Old 02-10-06, 10:49 PM
Cool our442

Originally Posted by johnnugent
I have a 1998 jeep the large Grand Cherokee model. it has 107,000 miles on it. it's a great veh, has everything. But the rear end is making a. I took it to a shop and they said it would have to be replaced. I can do the replacing this summer as i put it away and will have time.
What i need to know is what is the newest ( year)jeep that i can take a rear end out of and install in my 98. I plan to start looking in the area junk yards in soon
Hi The best thing is to replace with same year. scrapyards are fine But ask to see rear end with drums off and check to see if seal are leaking and check gears with banjo cover off. Spin hubs for grinding sound. most scrap yards will guarantee for 30 days.I have done this many times .I love scrap yards as easy fixes.

Search this Thread