Four way flasher repairs

Old 02-06-06, 11:08 AM
Four way flasher repairs

The four way flashers button on my '75 GMC pickup appears to be damaged. How challenging is it to access the button? It's in the steering column and appears to need the steering wheel pulled to replace? The symptoms are it seems to have a short and causes one blinker to flash constantly. I pulled the flasher from the fuse panel but that seems to overide the blinkers. Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-06, 02:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
For starters, check your turn signals from the out side, Are all four corners flashing properly. It may be as simple as a bad bulb. The turn signals and hazard lights use the same bulbs.

Old 02-07-06, 09:38 AM
Goldstar, when I fully depress the flashers button "ALL" four corners blink. When I attempt to pull the button out the left side front continues to blink. It appears the four way flashers are over riding the blinkers (turn signals) as I can not get them to work, period! Meaning I turn the key to the on position and turn (for example) the right side signal on and it does nothing. The left side front signal just continues to flash. I pulled the four way flasher "can" from the fuse box, but then nothing worked. Tried switching the flasher and turn siginal "cans" on the fuse box (knowing at least one worked) and the turn signals still didn't work.
Frustrated!

Old 02-07-06, 10:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The hazard lights over ride the turn signals, so all four corners flash. Since , in normal operation, the left front continues to blink, and nothing you do by moving the lever changes it, I have to suspect that the switch itself jammed or broke. Not sure on your Jimmy, but you will probably need to remove the steering wheel to get to it, and replace the switch.

Old 02-08-06, 06:28 PM
our442

Originally Posted by goldstar
The hazard lights over ride the turn signals, so all four corners flash. Since , in normal operation, the left front continues to blink, and nothing you do by moving the lever changes it, I have to suspect that the switch itself jammed or broke. Not sure on your Jimmy, but you will probably .
need to remove the steering wheel to get to it, and replace the switch. becarfull not to deploy airbags.