low coolant

Reply

  #1  
Old 02-06-06, 11:37 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1
low coolant

My low coolant light was coming on, so had the system flushed. A week later, the light comes on again and had to add more coolant. There are no visable leaks, so where is it going? I have a 96 Bonneville SSE
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-06-06, 03:00 PM
LouBazooka's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 553
check your engine oil just in case.
 
  #3  
Old 02-06-06, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 18,709
What does your exhaust look like?
 
  #4  
Old 02-06-06, 03:45 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 948
run a leak down test on the cylinders to see if you have a bad head gasket, cracked head, block, or valve guide . have the cooling system pressure tested. check the cooolant overflow hose.
 
  #5  
Old 02-06-06, 05:16 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by Gmama
My low coolant light was coming on, so had the system flushed. A week later, the light comes on again and had to add more coolant. There are no visable leaks, so where is it going? I have a 96 Bonneville SSE
Well, first question is, WAS the coolant low? In other words, more than an inch or two below the cap on the expansion tank (I'm assuming you have an expansion tank, not a regular old radiator).

You say "The light was low, so I had to add more coolant" - but this doesn't necessarily follow. If you add TOO much, it steams out the overflow hose during operation, so you wouldn't see it puddling on your garage or driveway.

Many newer cars with expansion tanks have a 'built-in' low coolant sensor, and if the sensor goes bad, it can give a false reading.

Check with a qualified Pontiac mechanic, and verify that you are actually LOOSING coolant, before you spring for another flush (a bad idea generally anyway) or an expensive $$$$ repair you DON'T need.
 
  #6  
Old 02-06-06, 05:23 PM
v8driver's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 767
v6? i'd suspect the intake gasket, felpro gaskets fix it better
 
  #7  
Old 02-07-06, 04:43 AM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,538
it has to have a leak somewhere get the cooling system pressure tested. perhaps its the plastic upper intake if its a 3800 that melts the intake at the egr exhuast passage.
 
  #8  
Old 02-10-06, 11:02 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 361
Question

Originally Posted by Gmama
My low coolant light was coming on, so had the flushed. A week later, the light comes on again and had to add more coolant. There are no visable leaks, so where is it going? I have a 96 Bonneville SSE
Is there a milky look to your engine oil. You can try Barsleak in cooling system to stop leaks Gm puts it in all new cars made.
 
  #9  
Old 02-11-06, 11:59 AM
v8driver's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 767
Don't put bars leak in there!, GM puts thier own seal "tabs" in them. You can use stop leak, if your going to get rid of it that is.....
 
  #10  
Old 02-11-06, 10:08 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 361
Originally Posted by our442
Is there a milky look to your engine oil. You can try Barsleak in cooling system to stop leaks Gm puts it in all new cars made.
I have used bars leak for 25 years here in Canada where cold temp. always makes are cars leak a little at start up untill engine warms up.I have a 96 grand prix and I use bars leak in it for the last 6 years and never had to add any coolant to it.I an still driving this car today.
 
  #11  
Old 02-13-06, 09:56 AM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by v8driver
Don't put bars leak in there!, GM puts thier own seal "tabs" in them. You can use stop leak, if your going to get rid of it that is.....
The GM "Coolant Supplement" is the exact same thing as Bars Leak GOLDEN SEAL - comes in tabs or tubes at your local Walmart. Exact same stuff. BUT not all "Bars Leaks" products are the same - just the "Golden Seal" variety.
 
  #12  
Old 02-13-06, 09:36 PM
v8driver's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 767
Originally Posted by JimTheLefty
The GM "Coolant Supplement" is the exact same thing as Bars Leak GOLDEN SEAL - comes in tabs or tubes at your local Walmart. Exact same stuff. BUT not all "Bars Leaks" products are the same - just the "Golden Seal" variety.
Ahh yes, after searching around, it is made by them, but one thing to note, its made by them, for GM. I'm just a fix it and not cover it up person though....
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes