no continuous heating

Old 02-07-06, 11:02 AM
no continuous heating

I own a 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S. When I have the heat on, the heat will only blow through the vents when the car is moving or accelerating. But if the car is not moving or accelerating, the car blows out cold air. Could you please give me some advice or what to do.

thank you
lashaydlc

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-06, 10:54 AM
Sounds like the heater core is clogged.

Old 02-08-06, 02:32 PM
The heater core is OK, what you have is air pocket trap in the system, how does the air gets in, you said!, the Radiator cap is bad and it allows coolant run out to overflow tank but not suck them back in, then eventually air build up in the system. If you notice a "gurggling" noise on the right side of the dash when pulling out from stop(radio and blower off), it's a sign of low coolant/air pocket.

There's a way to inspect if the cap is good or not without the use of pressure test, remove the radiator cap when engine is COLD (over night parked), turn the cap around and look directly at the (black) rubber seal, if you can not see the brass/silver part under neath the seal, the cap is junk, replace with new cap and top off level on both radiator and overflow bottle.

There's a way to bleed the system but it'll requires the use of special tool, all you have to do is drive it, it'll take couple days to get the air out just by driving it, keep the overflow bottle full.

Old 02-08-06, 04:15 PM
our442

Originally Posted by lashaydlc
I own a 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S. When I have the heat on, the heat will only blow through the vents when the car is moving or accelerating. But if the car is not moving or accelerating, the car blows out cold air. Could you please give me some advice or what to do.

thank you
lashaydlc
Have heatercore backed flushed to remove air from heater. There is a back flush kit you can buy at a parts store.